• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bring Back the Titfield Thunderbolt!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring Back the Titfield Thunderbolt!

Tories to reverse Beeching

They'll be having some interesting conversations with Sustrans who have spent years turning a lot of the closed rail network in these parts to cycle paths.

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

They'll be having some interesting conversations with Sustrans who have spent years turning a lot of the closed rail network in these parts to cycle paths.
    Please find somewhere nice and quiet to die, and don't make a mess.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

£500m wont get them much.

Cost per mile of between £4.5m and £11m depending on required infrastructure (bridges, tunnels, stations ) according to this :

https://www.railfuture.org.uk/east/d...s-Analysis.pdf
      Facts Sheet 7. Rail versus road: Capital costs of track | Transport watch UK

HS2 will cost around £400m per mile.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Good luck with that, considering a lot of old railway lines have been built on, or used in part for roads and road viaducts.

This all sounds like Tory dogwhistle politics to appeal to old timers with fond memories of steam trains etc etc, and is a pretty tawdry outdated vision for the 21st century.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There are definitely some routes that could/should be reopened but, as others have said, it'll be impossible to do that for all the routes axed where they have been repurposed.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Good luck with that, considering a lot of old railway lines have been built on, or used in part for roads and road viaducts.

This all sounds like Tory dogwhistle politics to appeal to old timers with fond memories of steam trains etc etc, and is a pretty tawdry outdated vision for the 21st century.
            I was just having fond memories of the old Slow and Dirty which, of course, I'm too young to remember though I did have my first legover up Midford Tunnel.

Comment

I was just having fond memories of the old Slow and Dirty which, of course, I'm too young to remember though I did have my first legover up Midford Tunnel.
              Do **** off, there's a good chap.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X