• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My ClientCo Just Blanketed Everyone Inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible for contractors to band together and form their own consultancy? Or is it hard to get around the MSC legislation?

Managed Service Company (MSC) legislation – key guide for contractors and agencies
    Managed Service Company legislation: unpaid PAYE and Class 1 NI contributions avoidance schemes (Spotlight 32) - GOV.UK
    Ever tried herding cats? It's far harder than you think.

Which is why I've gone the ISV approach - find a niche (or in my case a large gap) and go for it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Mine did the same this week, Royal London.

Ltd allowed to 14th Feb to allow for last payment on March 17th, anything after PAYE through AMS.

Your post jumped out as me as a friend has been approached with a decent gig outside IR35 via a managed service company style contract at Royal London. She's interviewing next week. From some basic searching I see that it's an agency who are trying to do the MSC thing.

Are you aware this is happening? I suspect you haven't been approached as they either don't want you or, more likely, wish to sever ties with past contractors and a clean slate via the MSC route.
      Last edited by rogerfederer; 18 November 2019, 12:24.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
        Your post jumped out as me as a friend has been approached with a decent gig outside IR35 via a managed service company style contract at Royal London. She's interviewing next week. From some basic searching I see that it's an agency who are trying to do the MSC thing.

Are you aware this is happening? I suspect you haven't been approached as they either don't want you or, more likely, wish to sever ties with past contractors and a clean slate via the MSC route.
        They were pushing the FTC route for a while but now have gone down the Cognizant/TCS route.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            They were pushing the FTC route for a while but now have gone down the Cognizant/TCS route.
            This doesn't match what I'm hearing from two people. They're joining via what was an agency and is now setting up MSC contractors. They aren't one of the notable household MSC names and certainly not through Cognizant or Tata.

Interesting times. I wonder if it's genuine or leading them up the garden path...

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Another blow for us contractors and another win for Accenture, Cognizant, IBM, Delloite, etc.... M.
              As I'm one of their associates, I had this email a few weeks ago from Deloitte:
              (Basically IR35 status will be determined individually per contractor)

This communication sets out some key information in relation to the upcoming Off Payroll Working Legislation for contractors who currently provide services to Deloitte LLP

Deloitte LLP utilises contractor resource across various roles within its UK business, and the upcoming changes in regulation will have a direct impact on both contractors and the organisations for which they contract.

Below you will find some key information on what is happening, alongside links to further detailed information, as well as details on how you can raise questions.

Deloitte are committed to the use of contractor resource, and are currently finalising the approach to IR35 to ensure compliance with the law April 2020.

Changes to Off Payroll Working Legislation (IR35)

As you may be aware, there are planned changes to Off Payroll Working Legislation, also known as IR35, which are expected to take effect on 6th April 2020.

‘Off Payroll Workers’ are contractors and temps, including those who operate through a Personal Services Company (PSC) or Limited Company, as many of you do.

What is changing?

From 6th April 2020, it will be the responsibility of the organisation that receives an individual’s services, to determine whether or not they fall within the scope of IR35 rules. It was previously down to the individual to make this decision.

For roles that are deemed to be inside IR35, it will be the organisation’s responsibility to ensure appropriate tax and National Insurance deductions are taken at source, in the same way that they do for employees. There are no changes for those that fall outside of IR35.

The legislation is due to be finalised in November, and will mirror changes that were introduced in the public sector in 2017. HMRC have said that the changes are to improve fairness in the tax system, by ensuring those who effectively work as full-time employees pay tax on that basis.

So what happens next?

Once the legislation is finalised, we will work with all related parties, including the organisation for which you contract, to determine which roles fall in and outside of IR35. The process for doing this will be the same, irrespective of the contracting agency.

Once your individual status has been determined, you will be contacted promptly with details of next steps - the expectation is that this will be no later than January.

In the meantime, you can access the government guidance on the legislation and a briefing from HMRC.

If you would like support in determining what your IR35 status is likely to be - a trusted advisor, such as an accountant or a legal professional should be able to provide assistance.
              Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                I sympathise with you guys but as a business if the only way you can be profitable is to rely on the tax relief on expenses then possibly you need to review your business model.
                What complete, unadulterated nonsense. Most businesses couldn't survive without tax deductible expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                  As I'm one of their associates, I had this email a few weeks ago from Deloitte:
                  (Basically IR35 status will be determined individually per contractor)
                  You really think that Deloitte's clients are going to do that? I'll be very surprised if its anything other than blanket inside, or policy decision to go via Umbrella, in all but a few highly critical roles. Please let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    What complete, unadulterated nonsense. Most businesses couldn't survive without tax deductible expenses.
                    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      You really think that Deloitte's clients are going to do that? I'll be very surprised if its anything other than blanket inside, or policy decision to go via Umbrella, in all but a few highly critical roles. Please let us know what happens.

Deloitte work for multiple clients and generally fan contractors/consultants across at least two projects simultaneously. As a result I don't think the end client is the determining party under such a scenario. SoW and no SDC are the key.

Comment

Working...
                      X