• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My ClientCo Just Blanketed Everyone Inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Yes, and now the government are ruining some of our choices by moving the goalposts. Previously I could choose to travel, because the hit on my bottom line was reasonable and doable. Wihin IR35, it likely won't be.
    Can't help you there. I didn't come up with government policy. IR35 has been around some years now, all this government is doing is applying the rules now.

Nah, I'm right. It's a fact - your responses have been, and continue to be, ill-conceived and foolish.
    You say ill-conceived and foolish, and yet you're the one having the pity party, not me

Yes, and now the government are ruining some of our choices by moving the goalposts. Previously I could choose to travel, because the hit on my bottom line was reasonable and doable. Wihin IR35, it likely won't be.

Gotchya, everybody who doesn't live near their (current) clients is a fool. Families, commitments, roots, lives and homes be damned - everybody outside of London is an idiot. You really are, truly, cretinous.
    I never said those not living near their clients is a fool. I said, I was not stupid for moving to London which is the area that my prospects (and hence marketplace) is. I simply suggested you be as 'stupid' as me and move to where your clients are if you don't want the expense of travel.

You clearly value family, roots, homes etc over where you live for work. That is your choice, but don't blame others for that choice. I chose to move away from my home and made a home in London, where the majority of work is for me. I chose to join the saturated market and still became successful - it was a risk, but hey, I was 'lucky'

Mate, you 've made your choices. Live with them. Stop complaining. If you're not happy, change your decisions and get on with your life rather than blaming others.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Can't help you there. I didn't come up with government policy. IR35 has been around some years now, all this government is doing is applying the rules now.

You say ill-conceived and foolish, and yet you're the one having the pity party, not me

I never said those not living near their clients is a fool. I said, I was not stupid for moving to London which is the area that my prospects (and hence marketplace) is. I simply suggested you be as 'stupid' as me and move to where your clients are if you don't want the expense of travel.

You clearly value family, roots, homes etc over where you live for work. That is your choice, but don't blame others for that choice. I chose to move away from my home and made a home in London, where the majority of work is for me. I chose to join the saturated market and still became successful - it was a risk, but hey, I was 'lucky'

Mate, you 've made your choices. Live with them. Stop complaining. If you're not happy, change your decisions and get on with your life rather than blaming others.
      And as I asked in my last comment - when did you move to London - it was a far easier decision to do that in the 1990's than it was to do so today...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Firstly, the thread is discussing government policy and you seem to be dismissing peoples legitimate concerns (Predominantly through your "I'm alright, jack" attitude. And secondly, nope - they're forcing clients to take on the liability. This is scary to them, which in turn, encourages clients to either stop dealing with PSC's or put people inside. Not only that, but they're doing it because they know they can't win fairly - HMRC's record int he courts says it all.

Okaaay - no idea what that's got to do with anything. Am I upset that the government has, once again, shown that they hate contractors - yes, I am.

I never said those not living near their clients is a fool. I said, I was not stupid for moving to London which is the area that my prospects (and hence marketplace) is. I simply suggested you be as 'stupid' as me and move to where your clients are if you don't want the expense of travel

In what world do you think I'm criticising you for living in London? I'm criticising you for your responses in this thread, your naive and uninformed views, and your response to people whose situation is being directly challenged by these changes.

Yes, I made choices based on the information at the time - just like everybody else does. I take it you wouldn't complain if a government policy slashed your take home?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            And as I asked in my last comment - when did you move to London - it was a far easier decision to do that in the 1990's than it was to do so today...
            Firstly, as a student in 1990 as part of placement year. Then after graduating I went back in 1992. Left in 1994 as company relocated, then back again in 1999 as headhunted by an insurance company for a perm job. Started contracting in London in 2007.

It's no more easy, or hard today as it was for me. I lived in shared housing, in some pretty grim accommodation, but it's what you did to move to where the work was.

Every generation will claim it is harder for them, and easier for prior generations. I've hired placement students for years in London, from Northern universities, and many of these students have gone on to be contractors back in London after graduation.

HTHs

Comment

Yes, I made choices based on the information at the time - just like everybody else does.
              Well stop complaining. The world changes. Every company has to deal with the political (and other) risks whether it be Sarbox (that was fun!), GDPR, umpteen financial services acts, etc etc. we're supposed to be running businesses, there are always changes to the business environment I'm afraid. We don't like it, but we have to deal with it. Try doing a PEST/PESTLE analysis and see what risks you need to manage as a business owner.

I take it you wouldn't complain if a government policy slashed your take home?
              I'm 50 next year but probably retiring in 4 weeks so government policy not going to impact me too much. I am talking to a company about doing a couple of days a week from home which I'm hoping will be signed off early next year, but if not, I'll be a full time carer for my wife.

Even if I wasn't though, I'd deal with it - do an impact analysis and come up with an action plan - raise rates (if possible), re-train to more profitable skills, work in a different location, cut my outgoings, sell house and buy somewhere smaller.

There are always options. We're educated contractors, (mostly) in a much better position financial than the majority of the UK population. We might not be as well off as we were, but FFS, we'll still be earning shed loads more than 85%+ of the UK

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Pass some over here ... this is hungry work

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  Wouldn't it be possible for contractors to band together and form their own consultancy? Or is it hard to get around the MSC legislation?

Managed Service Company (MSC) legislation – key guide for contractors and agencies
                  Managed Service Company legislation: unpaid PAYE and Class 1 NI contributions avoidance schemes (Spotlight 32) - GOV.UK
                  If I recall correctly, a bunch of PCG bods did that circa 2001. Innovos, or something similar, was its name.

It went mammaries pointing to the sky in about a year.

Comment

Am I upset that the government has, once again, shown that they hate contractors - yes, I am.
                    They don't hate contractors, but they had to do something about the tens of thousands of permie-tractors sat next to employees doing exactly the same work, but paying less tax.

come up with an action plan - raise rates
                    Most contractors suffer from wiki/Loss aversion when it comes to IR35. Instead of thinking about how can I charge more or find better paying clients, lets focus on how much tax I'm paying.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                      They don't hate contractors, but they had to do something about the tens of thousands of permie-tractors sat next to employees doing exactly the same work, but paying less tax.
                      Alleged, I would say. If it were even half true, HMRC would be smashing court case after court case right out of the park.

Comment

Working...
                      X