• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My ClientCo Just Blanketed Everyone Inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ClientCo Just Blanketed Everyone Inside

Another blow for us contractors and another win for Accenture, Cognizant, IBM, Delloite, etc.... My clientco (30,000+ people, FTSE:100) has just blanketed all their UK contractors inside. Their statement was along the lines of... "Following on from the reaction of companies such as Barclays, Morgan Stanley and GSK, we have decided to blindly follow suit." I'd not give to much of a tulip but, they renewed my contract until March 30th on November 1st and I turned down two interviews once I'd got the extension paperwork.

The choice we are now left with is go inside or go within the next few weeks. Oh, and they won't be increasing rates, either. They suggest "negotiating with your recruitment consultant".

They have said scopes of work for engagements will be allowed but I very much doubt they'll engage with anyone's ltd. directly.

No status determination sheet, no CEST evaluation, nothing. I'd ask for one, but knowing what they're like they will just tow the company line anyway.

Happy Friday.

Mine did the same this week, Royal London.

Ltd allowed to 14th Feb to allow for last payment on March 17th, anything after PAYE through AMS.

Comment

Mine said they won't take on any new contractors unless PAYE as of now and each BU has until end of Jan to get everyone out the door or under a PAYE brolly.

Why are clientco's aiming at dates so far before the deadline?

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Mine said they won't take on any new contractors unless PAYE as of now and each BU has until end of Jan to get everyone out the door or under a PAYE brolly.

Why are clientco's aiming at dates so far before the deadline?
        If you are paid on 30 day terms it has to be done and dusted by the end of Feb at the latest to avoid payments running into April and being caught by the new rules.

End of Jan gives them some contingency in case things slip.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

All the agencies who have contacted me about work recently have said the same, inside IR35 and via a brolly. Still better off than being permie, just not as good as it was.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Just make sure they understand this:

7. Secondary Class 1 (employers’) NICs

Because the fee payer has a liability to pay secondary Class 1 NICs, they are likely to wish to renegotiate the fee with the intermediary to reduce the rate for the job. They cannot lawfully deduct the secondary NICs from a fee that has been agreed, but could, depending on the contractual terms, negotiate a lower fee.

Off-payroll working in the public sector: reform of the intermediaries legislation - information for agents - GOV.UK
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              All the agencies who have contacted me about work recently have said the same, inside IR35 and via a brolly. Still better off than being permie, just not as good as it was.
              And any idea of rates 'before' and 'after' for those offers?
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Sounds great, you will have sick pay, paid holiday, you can tell your accountant and QDOS/IPSE(PCG) to piss off. 12 days of allotted sick pay.

Just make sure you get those tps reports in on time, permie.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Not sure what pipe you've been toking from but going inside is nowhere near a permie in terms of overall package when you consider the following:

- Holiday and sick pay
                  - Insurance / dental / other perks
                  - Death in service cover
                  - Pension conts
                  - Car allowance (which you'll usually get in jobs at our end of the pay scale)

If I go inside I lose a grand a month (if I was taking everything out of my ltd.) or 11 weeks of my time at my current rate outside. It's not even comparable. if I went permie at least that 11 weeks lost goes down to something more like 5 or 6 with holiday pay, before you even consider anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Sounds great, you will have sick pay, paid holiday, you can tell your accountant and QDOS/IPSE(PCG) to piss off. 12 days of allotted sick pay.

Just make sure you get those tps reports in on time, permie.
                    12 days!? I want to come and work where you are WooHoo!

Comment

Working...
                    X