• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems promise to review IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dems promise to review IR35

Manifesto page 23

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1574251172
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

The Conservatives promised similar in 2008. By the time they got into power, their position was reversed.

Comment

So lier lier pants of fire Tories don't do it no one will? How apathetic we've become.

End retrospective tax changes like the loan charge brought in by the Conservatives, so that individuals and firms are treated fairly, and review recent proposals to change the IR35 rules.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        So lier lier pants of fire Tories don't do it no one will? How apathetic we've become.
        Lib Dums won’t do it because they are an irrelevance- move on. Nothing to see here
        "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
          Lib Dums won’t do it because they are an irrelevance- move on. Nothing to see here
          My choice is to vote for an old man who wants to tax everything or a serial liar who wants to close my business. It's like having the choice of which testicle you'd rather have kicked. For me the only choice is the Lib Dems. I don't care about brexit...not as much as I do about IR35 and my business. Doubt they will make a difference, but I'm not voting for either of the other 2.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Basic undeniable truth in politics. No party will ever repeal a measure perceived to increase their tax take even if they've spent n years as the opposition
            complaining about it. So none of them will ever repeal IR35 when in power - or if they get into power.
            Last edited by gnarledcontractor; 20 November 2019, 16:56.

Comment

The Tories did review it, actually. Osborne did it and came to the conclusion - on Treasury advice - that it needed to stay in place to prevent "significant" levels of fraud and tax avoidance. So the Illiberal non-Democrats can safely say they will review it, but what they won't do is anything about removing it. It's the Treasury keeping it going, nobody else - certainly not the politicians, who are sick and tired of hearing about it.

Ignore killing IR35, it's not going to happen. Focus on how you can put yourself clearly outside its reach.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                The Tories did review it, actually. Osborne did it and came to the conclusion - on Treasury advice - that it needed to stay in place to prevent "significant" levels of fraud and tax avoidance. So the Illiberal non-Democrats can safely say they will review it, but what they won't do is anything about removing it. It's the Treasury keeping it going, nobody else - certainly not the politicians, who are sick and tired of hearing about it.

Ignore killing IR35, it's not going to happen. Focus on how you can put yourself clearly outside its reach.
                I hesitate to call that a review - just a confirmation from the Treasury that it indeed believes that it will increase their tax take and hence should remain policy..

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Not easy if you work for banks, or other large companies, which adopt a policy of deeming everyone inside.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

reviewing doesn't necessarily mean improving.

Comment

Working...
                    X