• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call to action: VOTE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call to action: VOTE

Don't care who you vote for, or even if you spoil your ballot paper in protest, just make the effort & participate
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Why bother? I voted in 2016, along with 52% of the population. And it was ignored.

In South Africa, this lead to freedom fighting by Nelson Mandela. Anything was acceptable as long as civilian casualties were minimized.

When will the UK get this?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Why bother? I voted in 2016, along with 52% of the population. And it was ignored.

In South Africa, this lead to freedom fighting by Nelson Mandela. Anything was acceptable as long as civilian casualties were minimized.

When will the UK get this?
      Um, I think they are still trying to implement what you voted for - and as with all Government projects it's a lot harder than the initial plan stated.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Um, I think they are still trying to implement what you voted for - and as with all Government projects it's a lot harder than the initial plan stated.
        And there's also something called loser's consent, which means that compromises need to be made on both sides.

The winners never understood that bit, and so we are where we are.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I was happy until end March 2019. Requesting an extension to A50 was outrageous. A complete breech of trust. Anyone with intelligence knows the UK is not a democracy. That decision should have made it obvious to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            And there's also something called loser's consent, which means that compromises need to be made on both sides.

The winners never understood that bit, and so we are where we are.
            All the losers have done is whine and moan about lies told on the leave side. As if politicians tell the truth!

Anyway, like most people, my vote was just to give the establishment a kicking. I thought there was no chance of leave winning. That worked out well!

And now I want to remain - parliament to cede power to Brussels. Westminster has proved itself unfit to rule. And the leader for this cause should be the freedom fighter Nelson Mandela. He knew how to conduct the fight for freedom. Terrorist? No way. He was a freedom fighter.....

Comment

Anyone with intelligence knows the UK is not a democracy.
              We are a Parliamentary democracy. That means you vote for the representative you think will best look after your (and your area's) interests for the length of the next Parliament.

A lot of Brexiters seem to think you elect a delegate - that is where the problem starts.

For reference the Go To speech for this argument is Edmund Burke - see below. I took it from House of Commons - Modernisation of the House of Commons - First Report

'Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion … Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests, which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole. You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament.' Edmund Burke's Speech to the Electors of Bristol, 3 Nov. 1774.

Comment

We are a Parliamentary democracy. That means you vote for the representative you think will best look after your (and your area's) interests for the length of the next Parliament.

A lot of Brexiters seem to think you elect a delegate - that is where the problem starts.

For reference the Go To speech for this argument is Edmund Burke - see below. I took it from House of Commons - Modernisation of the House of Commons - First Report

'Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion … Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests, which interests each must maintain, as an agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole. You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not member of Bristol, but he is a member of parliament.' Edmund Burke's Speech to the Electors of Bristol, 3 Nov. 1774.
                Whoever you vote for, the government still gets in.

" That means you vote for the representative you think will best look after your (and your area's) interests for the length of the next Parliament." - that is what SHOULD happen. But people often vote along party lines. Really we need a different system - there was a referendum on that in 2011 and it was rejected. On the losing side, I accept the result. So many people cannot accept being on the losing side.

Comment

All the losers have done is whine and moan about lies told on the leave side. As if politicians tell the truth!

Anyway, like most people, my vote was just to give the establishment a kicking. I thought there was no chance of leave winning. That worked out well!

And now I want to remain - parliament to cede power to Brussels. Westminster has proved itself unfit to rule. And the leader for this cause should be the freedom fighter Nelson Mandela. He knew how to conduct the fight for freedom. Terrorist? No way. He was a freedom fighter.....
                  Um, I think if you want Nelson to lead the fight you'll have to dig him up

Comment

Whoever you vote for, the government still gets in.

" That means you vote for the representative you think will best look after your (and your area's) interests for the length of the next Parliament." - that is what SHOULD happen. But people often vote along party lines. Really we need a different system - there was a referendum on that in 2011 and it was rejected. On the losing side, I accept the result. So many people cannot accept being on the losing side.
                    The local argument is that they vote for the Party because they believe the party best represents their views.

And as Churchill states = democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms

Comment

Working...
                    X