• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour tax manifesto

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    so long as you earn less than the basic MP salary you'll be safe. Even MPs won't want to tax themselves any more dosh
    Except MPs will vote themselves more. Labour is promising public sector pay increases of 5%. MPs get a lot of expenses.

Whereas OPM and lots more like him will be royally rogered.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      For any business owners contemplating voting labour, note:

It is now widely recognised that Entrepreneurs Relief in its current form cannot continue, so we
      will scrap it
      and consult on a better form of support for entrepreneurs which is not largely just a
      handout for a small number of people. 35 Sir Edward Troup, executive chair of HMRC until 2018,
      was reported recently to be calling for its removal36 on the basis of it providing “no incentive for
      real entrepreneurship”

This means
       Capital gains will be taxed at the marginal income tax schedule as described in Section 7.
      Capital gains will still be taxed more lightly, as they are not subject to National Insurance:
      this is especially the case for those with income below the Higher Rate Threshold

In addition to the lighter taxation of capital gains, owners of assets benefit from reduced rates
      of income tax on dividends from those assets: sometimes as low as 7.5%.
      Labour proposes to equalise the tax treatment of income from dividends with other income by
      charging marginal rates equal to those in our income tax policy as well as
      – as with capital gains
      tax – removing the separate allowance subject to a de minimis threshold as with capital gains tax.

from https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/upl...eal-Change.pdf
      For any business owners contemplating voting Tory, note:

Brexit

Comment

I wouldn't waste your time reading their manifesto.

They will NEVER EVER get in with Corbyn & Co at the helm.

Hopefully they've printed it on something that can double up as bog paper.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Except MPs will vote themselves more. Labour is promising public sector pay increases of 5%. MPs get a lot of expenses.

Whereas OPM and lots more like him will be royally rogered.
          They can't vote themselves more, contrary to fake news, as there is a separate body that determines MPs salary and pension.

MPs can change tax - like I say, so long as you earn under the MPs salary you'll most likely be safe. I'd bet my bottom dollar that an 'excessive' salary just happens to be just over what they earn
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            I certainly would see a real difference ... I'd be substantially poorer.

and for that reason I'm out.
            To become poorer you have to be poor first. You aren't and you know it.

I'm not a supporter of minimal taxes due to the fact we can see various public services crashing, but Tory public relations is trying to convince us everything is going swell. On the other hand I don't want a left (they aren't 'far left') party in, a centre-left would be fine. Labour, LibDem and SNP coalition seems the wisest choice, so if that can be orchestrated then I suspect we won't see anything too major against contractors for a few years. With the Tories we already have severe IR35 ramifications and the scrapping of ER *anyway*, so I don't see much hassle given that inside IR35 roles, minus pension, will be within the PAYE rates for most for the advertised Labour income tax increases.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
              Labour, LibDem and SNP coalition seems the wisest choice
              Not in THIS universe!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Not in THIS universe!!

you live in your own special universe Spuddy ... there is nothing wise in there fella.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

"A Labour government will invest £100bn in Scotland over a 10-year period, Jeremy Corbyn has said."

The UK already 'invests' 10 billion per year so I suspect what he really means is he is going to do nothing and claim credit for the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    It's an outstanding manifesto. One that is different, revolutionary and evolutionary at the same time. It will have immense affect on the lives of millions for decades. This is transformational stuff. Vote Labour in and see a real difference to your life.
                    It will level the playing field. No more haves and have nots. Everyone will be equal Komrade.

Equally poor.
                    Equally hungry.
                    Equally jobless.
                    Equally homeless.

Equally ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
                      I cannot vote for Labour nor can I vote for the lying moron Johnson.
                      It's a right bitch innit.

I'd vote for Guy Fawkes if he had a decent box of matches.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X