• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour tax manifesto

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Phew, glad we sold off 1.6 acres to a neighbour in the summer
    my plot is larger than many around me, but I won't have the luxury of selling any of it off!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Your life might be tulipe mate, I quite like mine.
      ^^^^^^^

Comment

I've always been puzzled by contractors who vote Labour.

Did you not take the time to read Das Kapital?

I've lived through two Labour governments now, both led directly to economic collapse. There's a lot wrong with the Conservatives but most of it is that they don't really believe in small government and the free market economy either.

Our true enemy is Globalization but all parties support it, except perhaps the BP/UKiP.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Phew, glad we sold off 1.6 acres to a neighbour in the summer
          There'll be a small collective farm on it soon...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

All property is theft!

<-- that coat belongs to the collective!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Hurrah. 1 million new jobs building wind turbines and electric tractors.

1.33 million unemployed. Our transport and energy needs might soon be reliant on the spuds that tried to buzz the wood glue in craft and design class.
              FTFY
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It is fine Corbyn said only 5% would pay more tax under his policies
                There are lots of lies in politics - but this is fantasy land.

"While campaigning in Stoke-on-Trent, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn responds to criticism from the Institute for Fiscal Studies which described his party's spending plans as "not credible".

Mr Corbyn says: "95% of the British public will not pay any more in tax at all.

"The richest 5% will pay a bit more and the biggest corporations will pay more.

"We have costed it very, very carefully, produced a very full costings through our grey book, and the information is all there and out there - 95% will not pay any more."

Comment

McDonnell was asked about the IFS on TV this morning and said that the majority of economists disagree with them.

I mean is it too much to ask that the presenters interrupt his cuddly granddad schtick and call out his complete bulltulip.

Comment

I'm not a Labour voter as I'm registered in Scotland, although I'm working in Norway and Austria for the most part now.

The majority of the Labour manifesto changes are used throughout France, Germany and Scandinavia. There are a couple of particular parts that aren't, but overall it's really not as damaging as some are suggesting.

The BBC World Service broadcast the interview with John McDonnell this morning and the BBC themselves also stated that in terms of corporation tax rises, workers' rights and the rest it was pretty average for western European and Scandinavian countries. In terms of corporation tax Labour's proposal is also decidedly average for OECD countries.

In a digital and service economy we're not in the 1970s and shouldn't compare it to this era in entirety as times have moved on and the world is extremely different and heavily integrated.

Given that the vast majority of the manifesto is prevalent across developed EU countries this would suggest it's not as radical as certain posters are stating but is rather mediumly benign across our neighbouring countries. This being the case, excluding imagined panic, can this please be taken into account?

I have a friend in the public relations industry who were formerly advising the Conservatives but no longer do so as the current incumbents wish to provide an image of moderates whilst, in terms of policies, trending towards right of right wing and implementing draconian rentier class politics that will genuinely not be good for anybody in the middle classes or below. Most contractors are/were in the upper middle classes and are being decimated anyway. Where I was born in Scandinavia it is seen as immoral to raise taxes for the middle or upper middle classes without proportionally increasing such taxes on the super rich and more importantly large corporations effectively evading tax but calling it avoidance, due to purposefully lax laws that are in place to allow and encourage this. This isn't a mistake in the UK, it is by design. HMRC's sweetheart deals with Starbucks, Amazon and the rest are not acceptable and wouldn't fly where I am right now this week. Why you people in the UK tolerate this is beyond me - a feeling of powerlessness perhaps?

If you require any further evidence of the tricks being used then please consider that the raising of the NIC threshold negatively impacts state pensions and numerous other aspects of alleviating the hardship of low income. It may not be as far away for many reads of this forum; inside IR35 roles are now being posted that absolutely calculate, after your own paid expenses to get to the client, as at or less than minimum wage.

I'm glad the former part of my post is being highlighted by some economists:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsni...075265/video/1

Comment

I'm sure a lot of the policies are used but that does not make them right. Scotland started free tuition and it has resulted in less working class students as places are rationed. They cut the schools budget by nearly 10% to afford this, teacher number reduced, class sizes increased so the amount of 1-1 time pupils who are struggling get has dropped off a cliff. So again working class kids get disproportionally impacted. So now the Unis have to lower the entrance for working class kids and they get put into courses they will never have a hope of finishing.

You can probably go though all the items on the manifesto and argue that it will have the opposite effect than what they claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X