• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour tax manifesto

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Tory bounce after the pact with Nigel Farage seems to be slowly dissipating.

I would get familiar with the manifesto.
    Whose?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Bigger w ankers than Old Greg and NorthernLadUk at a gay Accountancy Meetup. All a load of fantasy
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The intelligence of a ‘Conservative Political Communications and Social Media’ expert:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          The intelligence of a ‘Conservative Political Communications and Social Media’ expert:

Same Mathematics teacher as Dianne Abbott by any chance?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

There will be people out there that believes that tripe.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I'm not interested in the Labour Manifesto but I admire its attempt (even if utterly in vain) to move the discussion to the single thing that is wrong with this country (as alluded to by #rogerfederer)

We don't pay enough tax.

We only pay about 35% tax. More civilised nations (think Belgium, Denmark) pay more like 45%. That's 30% more!!

All the bollox about "We'll give and extra £50 billion to the NHS". "Well in that case we'll give another £80billion" "We'll spend £100 billion on infrastructure" "Right - put us down for £200 billion" "We'll pump £120 billion into education... etc"

It's all bollocks because we don't have the money. The way you get money is i) inflation (sorry- not possible), ii) borrowing (sorry -we're up to our necks in debt) or iii) tax.

It won't happen straight away but after the abject failure of the Thatcher-Regan years, we've got to get back to paying more tax.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                I'm not interested in the Labour Manifesto but I admire its attempt (even if utterly in vain) to move the discussion to the single thing that is wrong with this country (as alluded to by #rogerfederer)

We don't pay enough tax.

We only pay about 35% tax. More civilised nations (think Belgium, Denmark) pay more like 45%. That's 30% more!!

All the bollox about "We'll give and extra £50 billion to the NHS". "Well in that case we'll give another £80billion" "We'll spend £100 billion on infrastructure" "Right - put us down for £200 billion" "We'll pump £120 billion into education... etc"

It's all bollocks because we don't have the money. The way you get money is i) inflation (sorry- not possible), ii) borrowing (sorry -we're up to our necks in debt) or iii) tax.

It won't happen straight away but after the abject failure of the Thatcher-Regan years, we've got to get back to paying more tax.
                You really don't understand economics, do you?

For instance, practical experience (mainly by previous Labour governments, as it happens) have shown that putting up tax rates gives an initial jump but then reduces overall tax income as people, and more importantly, companies, work around it.

And by what measure was Thatcher an economic failure?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Nobody really understands economics. Anyone who tells you they really do, just doesn't understand that they don't understand.

That goes double for economists.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

For instance, practical experience (mainly by previous Labour governments, as it happens) have shown that putting up tax rates gives an initial jump but then reduces overall tax income as people, and more importantly, companies, work around it.

And by what measure was Thatcher an economic failure?
                    Other countries in Europe have a higher GDP and higher tax revenues with respect to GDP, Germany and Sweden for example. In these countries companies and individuals have obviously been unable to find a way around paying more tax.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Other countries in Europe have a higher GDP and higher tax revenues with respect to GDP, Germany and Sweden for example. In these countries companies and individuals have obviously been unable to find a way around paying more tax.
                      But for many years both have had much more intensive social care provisions, different levels of home ownership (more rental than owned houses in Germany for instance), differing rates of VAT and other excise duties and whole host of other variants. Germany has a large manufacturing industrial base, Sweden has significant oil and gas income, You simply cannot take one country's economic model and apply it to another one.

Labour's manifesto touches on several things that do need attention. the problem is their basic, fundamental mechanism for raising the money they need simply doesn't work.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X