• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Illegal colonialists must be stopped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Or the UK can turn round and say "You were legally evicted, **** you!".
    Ironic, isn't it. We have immigrants who want to go home, and we say they can't.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Ironic, isn't it. We have immigrants who want to go home, and we say they can't.
      No, we don't.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Legally?

Opinion is divided on the matter. The U.K. says they were legally evicted, 95% of the rest of the United Nations plus the UN courts says they weren’t....

Comment

No, we don't.
          According to this: UK's Chagos Islands descendants feel like 'lost nation' - BBC News
          We do.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            They had a vote and decided the U.K. should leave.

Then the entire United Nations had a vote, and also decided the U.K. should leave.

Perhaps the U.K. should take the hint?
            You mean the Tory government are ignoring a democratic vote? Who'd have thunk it?
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Evicting someone from their own land is technically an invasion. But I guess as an ex-squaddie you're OK with that, so long as those losing out are foreigners

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                It isn't their home to go back to. After further rereading the article you posted there are very few if any who want to go "home", they want to settle in the UK.
                Last edited by Zigenare; 22 November 2019, 12:32.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Evicting someone from their own land is technically an invasion. But I guess as an ex-squaddie you're OK with that, so long as those losing out are foreigners
                  Read some history, grow up a bit and then come back for an adult conversation.

While you're waiting to grow up, you might want to read...

On 27 April 1786 the Chagos Islands and Diego Garcia were claimed for Great Britain. However, the territory was ceded to Britain by treaty only after Napoleon's defeat, in 1814. The Chagos were governed from Mauritius, which was by that time also a British colony.

In 1793, when the first successful colony was founded on Diego Garcia, the largest island, coconut plantations were established on many of the atolls and isolated islands of the archipelago. Initially the workers were slaves, but after 1840 they were freemen, many of whom were descended from those earlier slaves. They formed an inter-island culture called Ilois (a French Creole word meaning Islanders).
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 22 November 2019, 12:38.

Comment

Watch out!

The Argies will be claiming it next.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Read some history, grow up a bit and then come back for an adult conversation.

While you're waiting to grow up, you might want to read...
                      FFS, you really are dumb. Just because the British 'claim' it, it doesn't give the government the right to kick people of that land. For once, try to think of the ethics and morality of what went on/is going on.

To simplify it for you, as I know you struggle with anything too complex. Let's play a game, and pretend the government came to your little house and kicked you out, and gave it to a foreign nation to live on. You're sent somewhere else to live, but your whole life is turned upside down on a whim.

Just because the government claim it's 'lawful', which most of the world disagree with, it doesn't mean it is right. I'm sure Saddam thought it was 'lawful' to invade Kuwait, or Assad thinks it's 'lawful' to blow up his own people, also doesn't make it right.

I'm pretty sure you won't agree as you're so stuck in your little rut that you have no compassion for most of the humans on this planet. But fella, that I'm afraid is something you need to live with and to sort out in your own conscience.

Comment

Working...
                      X