• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Smart Meters still crap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    I believe that if you have a SM, and you change suppliers they stop working, so you are back to sending in your own meter readings.

Notice the adverts around these, very subtle language about being "Green" if you get one.

qh
    Gen 1 smart meters were stuck to one providers, the new Gen 2 I'm led to believe do not have the same restrictions.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Just there so they can introduce variable price. I.e. more expensive at peak times.

I’ll refuse until they (inevitably) make it compulsory.
      I was persuaded to install one on the basis that I was told that they would eventually be compulsory and there was a reduced tariff incentive for 18 months. I needed to move the meter and thought it was a good idea. The problem was that the reduced tariff didn't seem to reduce my bills. So I deduced that the new meter was recording my usage more accurately, i.e. it was recording a higher usage than the old analogue meter. Gullible again!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Gen 1 smart meters were stuck to one providers, the new Gen 2 I'm led to believe do not have the same restrictions.
        Yup brother has just moved house and this is what he is being told.

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        I was persuaded to install one on the basis that I was told that they would eventually be compulsory and there was a reduced tariff incentive for 18 months. I needed to move the meter and thought it was a good idea. The problem was that the reduced tariff didn't seem to reduce my bills. So I deduced that the new meter was recording my usage more accurately, i.e. it was recording a higher usage than the old analogue meter. Gullible again!
        Interestingly (or not I suppose) apparently when you have a pay as you go meter you do pay more for your electricity - which always struck me as strange as people on those are generally low income and so could do with not being penalised if the electric co cannot trust them to pay a bill.

Also as you are all aware smart meters do not save electricity - you get some decent tariff's as 'incentives' to move and get a smart meter but all they do is show you how much you use - but if you always turn stuff off there is no real need for one.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Yup brother has just moved house and this is what he is being told.

Interestingly (or not I suppose) apparently when you have a pay as you go meter you do pay more for your electricity - which always struck me as strange as people on those are generally low income and so could do with not being penalised if the electric co cannot trust them to pay a bill.

Also as you are all aware smart meters do not save electricity - you get some decent tariff's as 'incentives' to move and get a smart meter but all they do is show you how much you use - but if you always turn stuff off there is no real need for one.
          but all they do is show you how much you use
          a spin off of this is that I remember the attempts in Apollo 11 to reduce consumption below a certain level. It's interesting to note which devices take the most power.

Comment

a spin off of this is that I remember the attempts in Apollo 11 to reduce consumption below a certain level. It's interesting to note which devices take the most power.
            Yes but unless you're Irish, you don't have the electric kettle running non-stop 24-7!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Gen 2 meters are called SMETS 2 meters.

However the big plus for the program was on the supply side where you’d get real time data on usage so making savings at the power station where you can’t store electricity.

But I read somewhere that this information is already available at a local station level (so rolling up usage over a hundred houses or so) so really can’t see any reason for this program, maybe the brains behind the project, Ed milliband could explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo 13

Comment

I did a 6 month gig on these - just about the time GCHQ got involved in the security aspects - forcing a massive redesign of the security protocols, as others have pointed out the risk is that all supplies could be shut off if hacked - no idea if they are now more secure but live and hope that GCHQ would know their onions

One thing was the meters could detect the presence (and generate an alert) of a local strong magnetic presence - so those using the magnet trick to slow the old meters down be warned

Visiting Arqiva base in Winchester was a bonus, lots of nice totty floating around

It was a crap gig through Crapita so I didn't extend and went on to pastures new

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post

It was a crap gig through Crapita so I didn't extend and went on to pastures new
                    another reason to avoid them, then

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      Yes but unless you're Irish, you don't have the electric kettle running non-stop 24-7!
                      we have electric under plinth heaters in our kitchen and surprisingly these take less than the electric kettle.

Comment

Working...
                      X