• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop bag recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Thanks for your witty and incisive input.
    HTH

Comment

Tumi

I've had a Tumi laptop bag for a few years, still looks like new - very resilient. Has tons of zips/pockets inside for various things as well as the laptop/charger, etc. Quite expensive, but worth it IMO.
      Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.

Comment

Depending on the size of the laptop - if less than 15" get

Jekyll & Hide Berlin Laptop backpack 15″ leather brown - 3806-BER-brown | wardow.com
        or
        Fenton Leather Rucksack in Chestnut Brown | Lakeland Leather

And while I rarely agree with Sas I do follow Vimes "boots" theory on socieconomics.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          So I'm looking for something that'll fit my 14" laptop, is super lightweight, tough wearing and has some water resistance, but dont want to break the bank either.
          What laptop have you got? The water resistance bit puzzled me.

Comment

Much how I'd like a lovely leather back-pack for my 3K laptop buying an expensive bag seems like a fool's errand in that you are likely to attract thieves.

I tend to pick mid-range fabric bags that are more discrete and just replace them regularly. Also doesn't wind-up the permies that you are the loaded contractor, whereas having the hardware you need for the job is a given.

Comment

I am in the same position, in that the latest laptop is somewhat smaller, therefore requiring a smaller bag.

You could use this opportunity to learn a new skill & make your own.

That’s my current project, I have all the parts cut, punched & dyed, just waiting for delivery of some more lining material so I can sew it all together
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                That reminds me, need to bleed the radiators. First time in the new house (been here nearly a year) so exciting times.
                Always worth wearing the gladiator outfit if the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  Much how I'd like a lovely leather back-pack for my 3K laptop buying an expensive bag seems like a fool's errand in that you are likely to attract thieves.

I tend to pick mid-range fabric bags that are more discrete and just replace them regularly. Also doesn't wind-up the permies that you are the loaded contractor, whereas having the hardware you need for the job is a given.
                  Nowadays I have little interest in keeping the permies happy - I go in tell them how to do their job properly, extract the large fee and leave them to it.

A decent suit / clothes and a good laptop bag / briefcase are part of the necessary ensemble. Also a car that says money but won't upset the finance director.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a Lenovo X1 which AFAIK is not waterproof or has any useful IP rating. I also carry a pad or some documents from time to time which I dont want getting wet.
                    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    What laptop have you got? The water resistance bit puzzled me.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      I know most people on this "contractors" forum are permie losers but seriously why ask for recommendations if you can only afford cheap stuff?
                      I would recommend Briggs and Riley backpacks, but if you're a loser use a Tesco carrier bag like Dim does.
                      I wouldn't normally agree with the resident gimp, but on this occasion he's spot on with B&R. And it's a bit cheaper if you buy it through the company...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X