• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small business debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small business debate

Tuned into the live stream for the Small Business Debate

Bill Esterston (Labour) has just said that IR35 needs to be reviewed in the public sector and "absolutely" not rolled out to the private sector.

Brexit party matey (didn't catch name) also says it should be scrapped.

Lib Dem (Ed Davey) says there will be "unintended consequences" and will undermine flexibility, and the dividend tax should have made it irrelevant.

Comment

#sbdebate hashtag on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Lib Dem (Ed Davey) says there will be "unintended consequences" and will undermine flexibility, and the dividend tax should have made it irrelevant.
        And yet on here the die hard Tories will argue until their final breath that the Tory party are better for us They'd be better off voting for the Brexit Party but they haven't got the balls as they fall for the media lies that there are only 2 parties.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          And yet on here the die hard Tories will argue until their final breath that the Tory party are better for us They'd be better off voting for the Brexit Party but they haven't got the balls as they fall for the media lies that there are only 2 parties.
          The trouble is, there's bob hope chance of the Lib Dems getting the numbers to influence a new government so they can say what the heck they like.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            The trouble is, there's bob hope chance of the Lib Dems getting the numbers to influence a new government so they can say what the heck they like.
            Well there is that, but labour also said it.

For all the stick IPSE get, all the representatives at the debate had read their manifesto and were specifically responding to the items in it. The comms to members needs work, but they are getting listened to behind the scenes. Great work.

Comment

Yeah it will be irrelevant when they increase div tax to 50% over 80% left after corp tax applied, so 60%+ taxation, or even 70% for those who managed to build companies that have 300k+ turnover

Comment

I thought the Brexit party bloke seemed anti-contractor.

Yes he said it should be scrapped and replaced, but only because he accuses contractors of already changing their practices to bypass the new regime and be making it "fail again" e.g. SoW and increased focus on substitution.

Comment

Well there is that, but labour also said it.
                  Labour don’t need to do anything regarding IR35. They’ll just treat dividends as completely taxable gross income. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                    Labour don’t need to do anything regarding IR35. They’ll just treat dividends as completely taxable gross income. Problem solved.
                    I think it's inevitable we'll pay more tax.

What makes me upset is when we are singled out and accused of being tax dodging disguised employees.

The ltd company structure allows us to smooth the income to cover time between contracts, sickness, and claim the costs of getting to clients at the other end of the country.

If an increased div tax applied to everyone, I might whinge a bit, but it's a hell of a lot better than forcing clients to deduct employee taxes at source.

Comment

Working...
                    X