• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DLA for son - OK I do feel a bit guilty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    When you go contracting a few days off will get you canned

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Unless the client declares you inside IR35, in which case you can sue under the Equality Act.

Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      When you go contracting a few days off will get you canned

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      I've taken very little time off work because of my disability (one week in 14 years). My client knows that. A previous employer ignored occy health advice to push me out. I've had legal battles of my own unfortunately. Nobody is a winner in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Teenage son has Aspergers. Applied for DLA 2 years ago and got turned down. It dragged on and on and we had court case yesterday.
        YAY got awarded last 2 years. Good few £K.

OK its not means tested so no issue there. For the 1st time in my life I do feel a bit guilty though... Yes his care has cost a few quid over the years (lomg story but I'm sure I must have the highest gas bill in wales!)

Don't tell me - you lot would turn it down?
        Don't feel guilty at all, my oldest is autistic and gets DLA.

This has enabled my partner to work part time so that we can properly look after him when he's not at school without having to rely on childcare.

Interesting note, rules for blue badges changed in August so if he's at risk on car parks you can probably get a blue badge too. We got ours because our son is currently wearing a rather fetching Taylor spacial frame at the moment having darted from the car one day and getting run over.

Comment

Yeh. We go to Disney every year. They do a fast pass thing so we don't queue. He wouldn't cope otherwise.
          We joked about renting our son out to friends and family just for this.. he would get a few trips to Florida a year and they get free fast pass.. it started as a joke but I think he's seriously considering it as a career option!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            We joked about renting our son out to friends and family just for this.. he would get a few trips to Florida a year and they get free fast pass.. it started as a joke but I think he's seriously considering it as a career option!
            Some people do it. And Disney is thinking of cutting down "perks" to disabled people as a result. It just ruins it for other disabled people. Without this "perk" we would hardly have gone anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Some people do it. And Disney is thinking of cutting down "perks" to disabled people as a result. It just ruins it for other disabled people. Without this "perk" we would hardly have gone anywhere.
              Yeh same with us. Hes 16 now and moans like **** about the heat so no chance of him queuing EVER. Even less chance of queuing to see princesses that his little sister wants to see!

Hes got a lot better in the last year or two and he can be trusted to be left alone. Which means he sometimes chooses to stay in the villa some days when we're in florida. Of course, then we can't use his pass.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yeh same with us. Hes 16 now and moans like **** about the heat so no chance of him queuing EVER.
                Unlike his dad who's happy to stand in the queue in the pissing rain outside the job center. You must be disappointed he hasn't learnt anything from you.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

psychocandy if you're ever stuck on the bench then I can give you tips on how to get ESA instead of JSA. That way you don't have to go to the jobcentre and can sit back and you watch the £75 a week minimum roll in to your bank account. NLUK would have to work for a whole hour for that kind of money whereas you'll be laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post

actually have a friend with a couple of statemented kids the wife does go with her to Legoland etc.

Everyone is a winner baby.

There but for the grace of deity go I.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Unlike his dad who's happy to stand in the queue in the pissing rain outside the job center. You must be disappointed he hasn't learnt anything from you.
                      No queuing outside for the jobcente matey. You show the security guard your card and wait inside. Never on time mind.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X