• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DLA for son - OK I do feel a bit guilty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Doesn't have to have special modifications or be dedicated to that use?
    Theres two desks in there - his and mind. Although I never go in there because the git is always howling with his headphones on playing games (and it does my head in!).

How much is the council tax thing? Is it basically they drop you one band?

Hoping I can backdate all this stuff (DLA is being backdated two years).
    Yes, it was a council tax drop by one band. You can get complete exemption you have severe mental impairment but I wouldn't fall into the category given that I am considering going brolly.

I've got a rebate for this year and my monthly direct debits will be reduced next year. It's not a huge amount of money but it's worth reducing my outgoings with the uncertainty ahead in the next year.

An extra room in itself is an adaptation if you are using it for purposes related to disability. I also showed the inspector my pip award letter, care plans, medication and the treatment related paperwork I need to maintain for managing my condition. He didn't go through anything in detail and made a few notes. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the council. It's an easy win if you can present a reasonable justification for about 10 minutes.

Caveat: other councils may do things differently.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
      Yes, it was a council tax drop by one band. You can get complete exemption you have severe mental impairment but I wouldn't fall into the category given that I am considering going brolly.

I've got a rebate for this year and my monthly direct debits will be reduced next year. It's not a huge amount of money but it's worth reducing my outgoings with the uncertainty ahead in the next year.

An extra room in itself is an adaptation if you are using it for purposes related to disability. I also showed the inspector my pip award letter, care plans, medication and the treatment related paperwork I need to maintain for managing my condition. He didn't go through anything in detail and made a few notes. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the council. It's an easy win if you can present a reasonable justification for about 10 minutes.

Caveat: other councils may do things differently.
      Yeh I'll have a got then. Like I said, I suppose we do use it because hes not able to be left alone in his bedroom without wrecking the place.

Wonder if they'll backdate it? DLA has taken two years after initial claim which they're going to backdate.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

They're backdating it to April 2020. I did say on the form that I've been using my extra room for disability purposes since January 2018. Perhaps I should ask the question. They're probably working on the basis that I have only claimed in this tax year e.g. I can't claim PIP retrospectively, it only starts from the date you make a claim.

Comment

They're backdating it to April 2020. I did say on the form that I've been using my extra room for disability purposes since January 2018. Perhaps I should ask the question. They're probably working on the basis that I have only claimed in this tax year e.g. I can't claim PIP retrospectively, it only starts from the date you make a claim.
          Yeh my sons claim (that has been upheld) is from december 2017.

Comment

Well, as I said, its been a long old road.

DWP are completely useless. The letters they send are just useless.

Its all been complicated by the fact that son turned 16 in October. Tribunal awarded him DLA from December 2017 to December 2020 (three years) - I wasn't aware they could do that since its past his 16th birthday.

Obviously, didn't apply for PIP when he was 16 because this was all still ongoing.

At the moment, we have had a back payment from December 2017 - OCtober 2019 but thats it. No sign of anything else.
            Any idea what happens next?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Well, as I said, its been a long old road.

DWP are completely useless. The letters they send are just useless.

Its all been complicated by the fact that son turned 16 in October. Tribunal awarded him DLA from December 2017 to December 2020 (three years) - I wasn't aware they could do that since its past his 16th birthday.

Obviously, didn't apply for PIP when he was 16 because this was all still ongoing.

At the moment, we have had a back payment from December 2017 - OCtober 2019 but thats it. No sign of anything else.
              Any idea what happens next?
              You keep fighting. Good luck to you.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Just make sure you read the deadlines.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  this all news to me. My teenage eldest has ASD (diagnosed this year) and I presumed that we would not be entitled to anything. I will be attending the local support group and asking for some info next week. Any pointers/questions to ask/ info will be much appreciated.

Comment

PC if you apply for PIP now then your claim will be backdated to the date you phoned the DWP to initiate the process. They will send you the forms. I can give you tips on filling them in and providing evidence if you PM me. You can also get help from CAB and various charities.

Comment

PC if you apply for PIP now then your claim will be backdated to the date you phoned the DWP to initiate the process. They will send you the forms. I can give you tips on filling them in and providing evidence if you PM me. You can also get help from CAB and various charities.
                      Cheers mb. They're actually paying DLA from Dec 2017 (when we first claimed). Of course, he turned 16 before Xmas.

I spoke to them last week and they're going to keep paying DLA for now and then he will be "invited" to apply for PIP. Of course, if he gets turned down for PIP then the DLA stops (or it goes over to PIP if hes successful).

Thanks I might give you a shout when the time comes. With the DLA experience, it seems if you don't put the right thing on the form it gets knocked back. Only the court tribunal did we speak to someone with any sense and, to be fair, they went into it properly and made an informed decision. (But I guess they can't do this for everyone).

Comment

Working...
                      X