• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DLA for son - OK I do feel a bit guilty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLA for son - OK I do feel a bit guilty

Teenage son has Aspergers. Applied for DLA 2 years ago and got turned down. It dragged on and on and we had court case yesterday.
    YAY got awarded last 2 years. Good few £K.

OK its not means tested so no issue there. For the 1st time in my life I do feel a bit guilty though... Yes his care has cost a few quid over the years (lomg story but I'm sure I must have the highest gas bill in wales!)

Don't tell me - you lot would turn it down?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Not sure why you feel guilty?

The government has given contractors a huge kicking over the years. You should claim everything you can.

Mrs-bp claims DLA for both our disabled kids. And mobility allowance. And carers allowance.

I was cheesed off elder child got turned down for PIP. But he should get disabled student allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Teenage son has Aspergers. Applied for DLA 2 years ago and got turned down. It dragged on and on and we had court case yesterday.

OK its not means tested so no issue there. For the 1st time in my life I do feel a bit guilty though... Yes his care has cost a few quid over the years (lomg story but I'm sure I must have the highest gas bill in wales!)

Start the kid young living off the government!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Start the kid young living off the government!

If only he knew someone who knew all about applying for JSA.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

The government has given contractors a huge kicking over the years. You should claim everything you can.

Mrs-bp claims DLA for both our disabled kids. And mobility allowance. And carers allowance.

I was cheesed off elder child got turned down for PIP. But he should get disabled student allowance.
          Yeh maybe. He got lower rate mobility and middle rate care allowance. Works out about £82 a week. Few quid backdated two years.

Been a long old fight. Two years in a few weeks. Got turned down, appealed, went to court, got adjourned, so good to get it sorted. People at court were very reasonable and thorough to be honest. Good job. I fear the initiai application is they turn it down anyway and see how many people dont bother to kick off.

Undoubtedly mind, son has cost us a lot of money over the years. Things like mrs not being able to work, let alone extra costs because of some of his ways due to his issues.

But aye fair enough....

Son is just gone 16. They've allowed him DLA until Dec 2020. Thought it stopped when he was 16? I was thinking even if they allowed it, it'd stop a month ago (when he was 16), I'd missed a month on PIP, and would have to go through the same tulipe again.

Comment

I applied for my daughter and got it, applied for PIP when she was 16 and she was awarded it for 10 years.
            The money is to help with all the extra costs having a disability can incur.

Do not feel bad your child deserves that money. My Daughter copes better now than she did when she was at school (she’s at university) but she still has a lot of problems that stem from her differently wired brain – and was also diagnosed with ADHD over the summer holiday to add to the ASD diagnosis.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

My daughter gets DSA - its a fund to buy stuff with, you dont actually get any money handed to the student. My daughters DSA pays for 1 hour a week with a mentor to help her get organised and some software for helping plan essays. They will also pay towards a lap top or equipment to record lectures.
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Yeh maybe. He got lower rate mobility and middle rate care allowance. Works out about £82 a week. Few quid backdated two years.

Been a long old fight. Two years in a few weeks. Got turned down, appealed, went to court, got adjourned, so good to get it sorted. People at court were very reasonable and thorough to be honest. Good job. I fear the initiai application is they turn it down anyway and see how many people dont bother to kick off.

Undoubtedly mind, son has cost us a lot of money over the years. Things like mrs not being able to work, let alone extra costs because of some of his ways due to his issues.

But aye fair enough....

Son is just gone 16. They've allowed him DLA until Dec 2020. Thought it stopped when he was 16? I was thinking even if they allowed it, it'd stop a month ago (when he was 16), I'd missed a month on PIP, and would have to go through the same tulipe again.
                We get similar allowance. No issues getting it - but mrs-bp is incredibly good at these things.

Hopefully you have a letter from doctor/consultant enabling you to jump queues at attractions? Without that, we would never have gone anywhere.
                If your wife cannot work, and gets no income from your limited, she should be able to get carers allowance.

DLA stopped for us at 16 so great news you got it! We did not get PIP - but every child is different so maybe you will get it?

And you have reminded me - I must ping MF and see how his child is getting on with his claim. MF is loaded - but we should all get all we can from the state to pay them back for our treatment!

Comment

We get similar allowance. No issues getting it - but mrs-bp is incredibly good at these things.

Hopefully you have a letter from doctor/consultant enabling you to jump queues at attractions? Without that, we would never have gone anywhere.
                  If your wife cannot work, and gets no income from your limited, she should be able to get carers allowance.

DLA stopped for us at 16 so great news you got it! We did not get PIP - but every child is different so maybe you will get it?

And you have reminded me - I must ping MF and see how his child is getting on with his claim. MF is loaded - but we should all get all we can from the state to pay them back for our treatment!
                  Yeh. We go to Disney every year. They do a fast pass thing so we don't queue. He wouldn't cope otherwise.
                  Coming home this year on the plane was "challenging". We usually do premium economy but it was a bit steep last year. We got on, we had front bulkhead seats anyway) it was packed, hot, was delayed, his TV didnt work properly. Major meltdown - I thought we'd have to deplane. Stressful that was for him.

Mrs works part- time -we've got a 6 year old as well. Son is better these days on his own for limited periods. BUT, got no chance he can even watch his little sister for even 10 mins without us so that makes it difficult sometimes.

Ha ha - NHS has done next to **** all for him. CAMHS (child mental health) friggin useless. Only headway/sense we ever got was to pay privately for a few appointments with a top child psychiatrist. VERY good he was (but not cheap). This guy has written books, is semi-retired, been there done it - so I was less than impressed when the 25 year old NHS CAMHS staff psych disagreed with what he'd said!

Comment

You shouldn't feel guilty about the DLA per se, but rather about spending it all on cider.

Comment

Working...
                    X