The problems with our society, in a nutshell The problems with our society, in a nutshell
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,057

    Default The problems with our society, in a nutshell

    I never thought I'd be so inclined to agree with an article on the BBC website. But this one sums up our problem: UK 'has particularly extreme form of capitalism' - BBC News

    Napoleon has nailed us - we're a nation of short-termist shopkeepers who don't appreciate that big, successful businesses must have a moral compass beyond a responsibility to their shareholders. We should be looking at corporations being encouraged to not lay people off simply because profits were lower than expected. Keeping more people in well-paid jobs is better for society as a whole; taxes remain within the UK, money spent is mostly done within the UK, etc. None of that socialist BS, but more of a sense of social responsibility - for the many, not the Jez.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding

    Benny has more data than eek

    Benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    I never thought I'd be so inclined to agree with an article on the BBC website. But this one sums up our problem: UK 'has particularly extreme form of capitalism' - BBC News

    Napoleon has nailed us - we're a nation of short-termist shopkeepers who don't appreciate that big, successful businesses must have a moral compass beyond a responsibility to their shareholders. We should be looking at corporations being encouraged to not lay people off simply because profits were lower than expected. Keeping more people in well-paid jobs is better for society as a whole; taxes remain within the UK, money spent is mostly done within the UK, etc. None of that socialist BS, but more of a sense of social responsibility - for the many, not the Jez.
    Ahh but will the shareholders agree?

  3. #3

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    I never thought I'd be so inclined to agree with an article on the BBC website. But this one sums up our problem: UK 'has particularly extreme form of capitalism' - BBC News

    Napoleon has nailed us - we're a nation of short-termist shopkeepers who don't appreciate that big, successful businesses must have a moral compass beyond a responsibility to their shareholders. We should be looking at corporations being encouraged to not lay people off simply because profits were lower than expected. Keeping more people in well-paid jobs is better for society as a whole; taxes remain within the UK, money spent is mostly done within the UK, etc. None of that socialist BS, but more of a sense of social responsibility - for the many, not the Jez.
    Typical Labourite crap. If anything the UK needs to accelerate the rate of free enterprise and capitalism. Starting with privatising the NHS, a monolithic Stalinist organisation that eats up resources and will eventually bankrupt the country with the current demographic trends
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    BlueSharp is NOT a disguised employee

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Typical Labour clap trap. A companies moral obligation is to meet those obligations set out by law. Government via a democratic vote set out what that law should be.

    I don't want mega corp setting what societies moral compass should be.

  5. #5

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,057

    Default

    Is it really Labour clap trap? I'd say not. Why should social responsibility equal socialism? I suppose a forum full of contractors is likely to exhibit traits of greed and selfishness but I never thought anything not associated with more money would be dismissed as leftist dreaming. I'd never vote Corbyn and be nearly as unlikely to ever vote Labour but I like the idea of plcs not simply being in it for the money and realising that if they don't offshore and don't make redundancies solely to boost profits that society will benefit. Must be getting soft now I've been a permie for nearly two years I suppose.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  6. #6

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,497

    Default

    50% of society problems are caused by 10% of the people. 50% of global warming is caused by 10% of the people.

    Not that anything is going to change - either on global warming or the problems in society. The 90% are way too stupid.

  7. #7

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Is it really Labour clap trap? I'd say not. Why should social responsibility equal socialism? I suppose a forum full of contractors is likely to exhibit traits of greed and selfishness but I never thought anything not associated with more money would be dismissed as leftist dreaming. I'd never vote Corbyn and be nearly as unlikely to ever vote Labour but I like the idea of plcs not simply being in it for the money and realising that if they don't offshore and don't make redundancies solely to boost profits that society will benefit. Must be getting soft now I've been a permie for nearly two years I suppose.
    Boosting profits.
    That is what a limited company exists to do. It's naive to think that that is incompatible with societal gain.
    I work for pharma companies who get a bad rap, but look at the vastly increased life expectancy for diabetics and the fall in heart disease rates.

    As for offshoring and making redundancies, these are only a bad thing if they negatively affect the company's success in the long term.
    Spreading the wealth around in different geographies creates new and larger (and possibly younger) markets. The demographics trends of the West aren't good for most companies (apart from pharma).
    Last edited by sasguru; 27th November 2019 at 13:23.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  8. #8

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Boosting profits.
    That is what a limited company exists to do. It's naive to think that that is incompatible with societal gain.
    I work for pharma companies who get a bad rap, but look at the vastly increased life expectancy for diabetics and the fall in heart disease rates.

    As for offshoring and making redundancies, these are only a bad thing if they negatively affect the company's success in the long term.
    Spreading the wealth around creates new and larger markets.
    I know I am going to regret asking. But I will try anyway.

    What gain do you think hedge funds provide to society? I know this is an extreme example....

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE has more data than eek

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    50% of global warming is caused by 10% of the people.
    What a pile of poo, the 10% are pumping out pollution to provide goods for everyone. You can't buy a packet of crisps and then moan about walkers making 10 million crisp packets a day and polluting the world

    They're literally making them cos you ask them to


  10. #10

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I know I am going to regret asking. But I will try anyway.

    What gain do you think hedge funds provide to society? I know this is an extreme example....
    They make JRM and other "non-elites" rich
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •