• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems to create new ‘dependent contractor’ employment status

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dems to create new ‘dependent contractor’ employment status

According to the Independent url=https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liberal-democrats-election-posters-boris-johnson-brexit-queen-trump-farage-a9219246.html the Liberal Democrats are going to create a new employment status.

The party’s business spokesman Sam Gyimah also pledged to establish a new ‘dependent contractor’ employment status for workers tied to one employer to enshrine rights such as minimum earnings, sick pay and holiday entitlement.
    Mark.

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
    According to the Independent url=https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liberal-democrats-election-posters-boris-johnson-brexit-queen-trump-farage-a9219246.html the Liberal Democrats are going to create a new employment status.

Mark.
    So totally what we don't f**king need...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      So totally what we don't f**king need...
      Or do. If you want to be treated differently to gig economy folk like Uber drivers...
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Or do. If you want to be treated differently to gig economy folk like Uber drivers...
        Depends on how it's implemented. My guess is it will be some cost to the 'employer' so like IR35 and the employer having to pay the employers NI, they will insist on umbrella. So they can sidestep the costs and continue as is.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          Depends on how it's implemented. My guess is it will be some cost to the 'employer' so like IR35 and the employer having to pay the employers NI, they will insist on umbrella. So they can sidestep the costs and continue as is.
          That's what I'm thinking - is it a silver bullet for IR35 or more to champion those underpaid/taken the p**s out of by the gig economy?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            That's what I'm thinking - is it a silver bullet for IR35 or more to champion those underpaid/taken the p**s out of by the gig economy?
            No I think it will make no difference. If it costs business more then they will look at contractor on 400 a day to umbrella is 400 a day. Contract through dependant company at 400 a day has holiday and benefits on top and possibly employers NI.....Think it will be the first one that wins out. Either way I reckon it is us who will end up getting less at the end of the day.

But I'm just guessing that's how it would be implemented.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The f**k will be the difference between ‘dependent contractor’ and Fixed term contract then?

This is mainly for the Uber/Deliveroo driver crowd. I don't need more dependencies and employment rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post

Mark.
                Hmm, can someone with a better memory than me confirm whether or not "dependant contractor" was an IPSE inspired brain fart from a few years ago?
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

No need for yet another legal entity. Simply tweak the rules so contractors can be self-employed and not leave agencies/clients at risk of a tax claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
                    No need for yet another legal entity. Simply tweak the rules so contractors can be self-employed and not leave agencies/clients at risk of a tax claim.
                    Been saying that for years as well... The problem is the relevant law applies to a lot of situations, not just ours, so is unlikely to be revoked without creating a new type of worker entity. Ermm...

It's like close companies: quite a few seriously big organisations, like Virgin Group, are owned by what classify as close companies, with less than 5 shareholders. That could be avoided, but only if you create a new class of worker. Ermm...

See the problem?

Alternatively, create a different trading vehicle. The problem with that is the majority of likely users of such a thing would think, rightly or wrongly, that they were sticking the whole upper body over the parapet fr the taxman to attack, so wouldn't sign up. And why would they?

And none of the above do anything about the real problem, which is exploitation of the workforce who aren't employees but damned well ought to be.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X