• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor, how do you answer this criticism?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djm View Post
    In plenty of forums, Facebook, social media etc, I always see the following phrase and I wondered what everyone else thought about it and how you answered it.

"People who avoid paying fair amounts of tax by creating a company, employing themselves on minimum wage and paying themselves a large dividend lose their right to an opinion on what happens to the NHS, as they aren't fairly contributing towards it. Even if what they do is legal, morally it's completely wrong."

By the way, I'm a contractor and sick of being attacked and would like to know what to say back
    This argument also ignores the CT the company pays. Whilst VAT is a pass through cost, it would be good to know if more VAT is raised via the LtdCo model vs us all being employees.

Comment

Explain that when you take ill, a time away for a holiday or otherwise, you'll not get paid like a full timer.

Explain if the option existed to work directly with the NHS as a freelancer/contractor you'd jump at it, but the agent does not allow that.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

In plenty of forums, Facebook, social media etc, I always see the following phrase and I wondered what everyone else thought about it and how you answered it.

"People who avoid paying fair amounts of tax by creating a company, employing themselves on minimum wage and paying themselves a large dividend lose their right to an opinion on what happens to the NHS, as they aren't fairly contributing towards it. Even if what they do is legal, morally it's completely wrong."

By the way, I'm a contractor and sick of being attacked and would like to know what to say back
        Don't bother engaging with it. Even if you explain to them about agencies forcing us (to avoid paying NI) and the higher tax take we generate they still want to wave their pitchforks because to them it's 'not fair' that you chose to become a contractor and they didn't and chose righteous suffering because people who earn good money are 'bad'.

Seriously - don't bother - this is who you're talking to:

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Ask them if they get sick pay, holidays, redundancy, notice periods that are enforceable, furloughs, rate cuts, etc.

It's a risk and reward model, that if it wasn't for the enforced travel due to the location of contracts, I'd still be engaging in. As it is, I choose to be a permie employee, pay my fare share of tax and accept that there are those who prefer the variety of contracting.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Tell them you don't do morals....

And the only time you ever did was when you decided it was a bit off when you were thinking of shagging the cat.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Tell them you don't do morals....

And the only time you ever did was when you decided it was a bit off when you were thinking of shagging the cat - but you didn't let that stop you, it merely created a brief hiatus in the proceedings while you set up the webcam.
              Just saying like...
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Ask them why, if it's all so easy and guaranteed why they aren't contracting. Any "moral" response is a lie - and the rest of the answers are your reasons for engaging through a Ltd Co.

Comment

Young people of today

In plenty of forums, Facebook, social media etc ... I'm a contractor and sick of being attacked and would like to know what to say back
                  I just don't get it.

Why do you waste your life away on social media sites that have a go at you? You don't need to look at them. Just walk away.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

That you don't give a flying feck what happens to the NHS, as it would be run far more efficiently and just as effectively by being privatised and sold to the Yanks?

Go on the attack, man!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just ask em how much the NHS is paying for locum doctors since the introduction of IR35 in the public sector

Comment

Working...
                      X