• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor, how do you answer this criticism?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Employees generally pay a higher percentage of their pay in tax, than entrepreneurs. This is because the state wants to encourage employees to become entrepreneurs. Us contractors sit somewhere between the two. So it would make sense for the state to want to incentivise us in a similar way. That's what justifies our purportedly lower rates of tax - there is no connection between what we put in and what we should have the right to take out.
    You poor, deluded fool.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

the state wants to encourage employees to become entrepreneurs. Us contractors sit somewhere between the two.
      This is the whole thing which sadly permeates this channel. Contractors are not entrepreneurs in any shape or form. They may take more risks, get exposed to more periods without jobs and have to travel all over the place, and therefore need more financial cushioning but that is no way entrepreneurialism.

If and when contractors start to create jobs for other citizens, I'd be totally confident the Revenue would be right behind us with all sorts of tax incentives. In the meantime you are a worker who changes jobs more often and forgoes certain 'insurances' like sick pay. It is highly honourable and useful for the Economy. But it isn't entrepreneurial and therefore does not merit business tax breaks.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        This is the whole thing which sadly permeates this channel. Contractors are not entrepreneurs in any shape or form. They may take more risks, get exposed to more periods without jobs and have to travel all over the place, and therefore need more financial cushioning but that is no way entrepreneurialism.

If and when contractors start to create jobs for other citizens, I'd be totally confident the Revenue would be right behind us with all sorts of tax incentives. In the meantime you are a worker who changes jobs more often and forgoes certain 'insurances' like sick pay. It is highly honourable and useful for the Economy. But it isn't entrepreneurial and therefore does not merit business tax breaks.
        As I said 10 or so years ago, there's an easy enough answer:

Tax divis as income.
        Allow proprietary directors to use self employed NIC class.

Comment

If and when contractors start to create jobs for other citizens,
          We create jobs for ourselves as directors. And some of us go on to form consultancies and are able to hire others.

I agree, though, that we are not what you would call classic entrepreneurs, though we do have some things in common with them.

Comment

Open the Pill Bottle Labelled Reality

We create jobs for ourselves as directors.
            Now, that's not true is it? You go on Jobserve or LinkedIn or your network and find a job someone else has created.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by djm View Post
              In plenty of forums, Facebook, social media etc, I always see the following phrase and I wondered what everyone else thought about it and how you answered it.

"People who avoid paying fair amounts of tax by creating a company, employing themselves on minimum wage and paying themselves a large dividend lose their right to an opinion on what happens to the NHS, as they aren't fairly contributing towards it. Even if what they do is legal, morally it's completely wrong."

By the way, I'm a contractor and sick of being attacked and would like to know what to say back
              Tell them you don't do this. Tell them you pay all your money as PAYE.
              Who cares if it's true or not they'll never find out.

Or. Tell the to piss off an mind their own business. They're just jealous as they don't have the balls to go on their own.

Or agree with them. Shrug your shoulders and explain the benefits of an insurance based health care system and why the NHS is appalingly bad.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Many contractors on CUK have made it very clear that anyone who avoids tax is scum. And have no sympathy with the many suicides HMRC have caused - 7 for LC alone.

Of course now they are starting to realise they are tax avoiders themselves and there is nothing wrong with it.

They only way is to take down HMRC. And that is underway. Will you support that? Or will you just do the standard contractor whine and b1tch?

I think this might be a nonsense assertion, my dear BrilloPad.

Most contractors seem to have been ok with dividends + salary; in fact I myself am ok with the dividend tax and understand the need for it. The IR35 changes and the reactionary nature response by banks I don't agree with and it seems unnecessary given the dividend tax.

I've seen your name quite a lot posting in the HMRC Enquiries sub-forum; I suggest that tax evasion and those contractors with complex schemes are evading tax and have everything coming to them although I don't agree with the retrospective methods of HMRC I do simultaneously believe that they were clearly outwith the law and constitute tax evasion. HMRC could've chased in a kinder manner.

People ending their lives - let's call it what it is, killing themselves, is sad and unnecessary. However given the rates of depression in the country and suicide rate among men I'm not sure this can be entirely be held as the sole responsibility of HMRC and/or their response to the loan charge. It strikes of people being ignorant and careless regarding money - I include you and anybody else in this if you/they went down the LC route yourself - as you made your bed and now you must lie in it. You purposefully use complex tax arrangements and saving that money extra you made as a very high earner for the inevitable rainy day. I don't like HMRC's response to the LC but by the same token we learn as teenagers how to handle money and as adults you/they chose to make certain decisions that were and are clearly tax evasion. People have been posting here for year after year of the clear dodgy nature of them. Naivety or ignorance is no excuse for such mistakes or "the scheme marketeer recommended the scheme and I just went along with it". As with our yearly accounts it's our responsibility as directors to keep on top of anything related to our Limited Companies.

I remind you that I am at the forefront of mentioning Amazon, Starbucks, Amazon, Boots (etc) as utilising tax evasion measures to minimise their tax in the UK to such a ridiculous extent that it's high time they had back-tax calculated and forced to pay it. If they leave the market, tough luck for them. Would we miss the bland coffee really? I doubt it too.

The offshore Panama Papers and the rest are posted online now, so it's possible to search for contractors' Limited Companies who were using offshore schemes purely to vastly reduce their tax bill through highly complex schemes.

For example: search for company secretary "Westco Nominees" Ltd - plenty of contractors seem connected that judging by companieshouse.gov.uk searches to show PSC-style Limited Companies.

Jounralist coordinated website for all well known past leaks of offshore financial information:

ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database

What I find amazing is that the same address of "Westco Nominees Ltd" is now used by "Nominee Solutions ltd" and the same Limited Company Contractors are still using these schemes.

It's absolutely insane when you consider that it's obvious what they are up to. From research all I can find online is pages concerning convoluted loan schemes that are still in existence. That's insane.

Company Check | Free Company & Director Information & Reports is your friend if you do not believe people are still using these schemes and have been for over 12 years. I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are still using them and, overall, giving the rest of us a bad name.
                Last edited by rogerfederer; 29 November 2019, 17:11.

Comment

Now, that's not true is it? You go on Jobserve or LinkedIn or your network and find a job someone else has created.
                  Haha, all you've posted in this thread is absolute nonsense. You also forgot to respond to my other post - perhaps you could review it.

Anyway, I've just (literally) had an e-mail from a colleague of a client asking when I'm available for a few days to do some consultancy for them. Tell me in simple words (I doubt you know any others) how that's different from me calling my builder and asking him when he's free to pop round and look at something?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Haha, all you've posted in this thread is absolute nonsense. You also forgot to respond to my other post - perhaps you could review it.

Anyway, I've just (literally) had an e-mail from a colleague of a client asking when I'm available for a few days to do some consultancy for them. Tell me in simple words (I doubt you know any others) how that's different from me calling my builder and asking him when he's free to pop round and look at something?
                    'consultancy' is very different though to what most contractors do; sit in the same desk, day in , day out, doing the same job for the same company over a 6+ month period. Many don't even work on projects, they're just brought in as temporary employees that the company don't want to put through their HR department.

I'm not saying contractors are wrong to offer this option to companies, but to all intents and purposes many contractors are just disguised employees.

As for the OP, why get drawn into a debate with these people. They are jealous that they can't ask for a larger 'salary' and prefer the safety net of a perm role. That's their problem to deal with. Let them vent if they so wish, it's not going to change anything.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by djm View Post
                      In plenty of forums, Facebook, social media etc, I always see the following phrase and I wondered what everyone else thought about it and how you answered it.

"People who avoid paying fair amounts of tax by creating a company, employing themselves on minimum wage and paying themselves a large dividend lose their right to an opinion on what happens to the NHS, as they aren't fairly contributing towards it. Even if what they do is legal, morally it's completely wrong."

By the way, I'm a contractor and sick of being attacked and would like to know what to say back
                      I answer it by highlighting the different levels of tax that are paid by employees and the self-employed.

For example:

On the first £8424 an employee and contractor pay the same tax - no income tax, corporation tax, NI
                      On £8424 - £11850 the contractor pays more than the employee (employee pays £411, contractor £650)
                      On £11851 to £13850 - the contractor pays £20 less than an employee (in exchange for no rights, pension, sick leave, holiday etc etc)
                      On £13851 to £46350 - at the top end of that band, the contractor pays £2263 less tax / NI than the employee does. I spend more than that in accountancy and insurance a year
                      On £46351 to £46384 - the contractor saves £2
                      On £46384 to £100000 - for every £10000 an employee earns in that band, the employee pays £332 less than the contractor
                      Over £115000, contractors pay more

In short - a contractor earning £50k pays more tax than an employee earning £40k (contractor pays £10841 in tax, employee pays £9419 - a massive £1400 saving)

(I did the figures some time ago and the bands may be slightly out, but the principle is the same. Employee rates used:

Code:
                      From    To      Income Tax    Employees NI     Marginal Rate
                      0       8424    0%            0%               0%
                      8425    11850   0%            12%              12%
                      11851   13850   20%           12%              32%
                      13851   46350   20%           12%              32%
                      46351   46384   40%           12%              52%
                      46385   150000  40%           2%               42%
                      Contractor tax rates used:
                      Code:
                      From    To      Corp Tax  Dividends  Marginal Rate
                      0       8424    0%        0%         0%
                      8425    11850   19%       0%         19%
                      11851   13850   19%       0%         19%