• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tale from wales about benefit claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Did someone say Newport?

YouTube

YouTube
    Yep thats it. To be fair, I'm not born and bred in newport Im a proper valleys taffy, I live right on the outskirts in a slightly nicer part, and we only moved here years ago because it was closer to Bristol/Bath/Cheltenham/Gloucs for contract work!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Yep thats it. To be fair, I'm not born and bred in newport Im a proper valleys taffy
      Just remember that everyone in Mid and North Wales hate you all. The assembly only cares about South Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Just remember that everyone in Mid and North Wales hate you all. The assembly only cares about South Wales.
        Ha ha used to visit north wales a lot with work years ago. They were horrified I couldnt speak Welsh (this was caernarvon mind) and you could see the look in their eyes.

Mind you took daughter to see Santa at St Fagans last weekend. (she does speak welsh, goes to welsh language school) Had horrified looks from the other parents when I had to admit my welsh wasn't good enough to understand the parent instructions. I had a rough idea but thats about it.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Ha ha used to visit north wales a lot with work years ago. They were horrified I couldnt speak Welsh (this was caernarvon mind) and you could see the look in their eyes.

Mind you took daughter to see Santa at St Fagans last weekend. (she does speak welsh, goes to welsh language school) Had horrified looks from the other parents when I had to admit my welsh wasn't good enough to understand the parent instructions. I had a rough idea but thats about it.
          Only 19% of Welsh speak Welsh. Yet they still make such a fuss about it.

So you are probably right. Carry on surpressing the northern insergents....

Comment

I was in the shop at Bangor Hospital collecting some items for Mother during her stay - she's still there btw.

The young lady on the till didn't like the fact that the old bloke she was serving suddenly switched to Welsh from English. She said "I can speak Welsh, I choose not to. I will not be bullied into speaking Welsh by you or anyone else!"

******* taffs!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Yep thats it. To be fair, I'm not born and bred in newport Im a proper valleys taffy, I live right on the outskirts in a slightly nicer part, and we only moved here years ago because it was closer to Bristol/Bath/Cheltenham/Gloucs for contract work!
              Native Non-Welsh speaking Newportonian here. I escaped years ago but only by a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
                Native Non-Welsh speaking Newportonian here. I escaped years ago but only by a few miles.
                Swindon?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Only 19% of Welsh speak Welsh
                  and I've found that 100% of those cannot translate three Welsh phrases that I give them into their English meaning. I can, and I can't claim to be Welsh speaking. Also, there are those gogs who do not know about the Welsh (k)Not.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    and I've found that 100% of those cannot translate three Welsh phrases that I give them into their English meaning. I can, and I can't claim to be Welsh speaking. Also, there are those gogs who do not know about the Welsh (k)Not.
                    Amazed anyone does not know about the Welsh Knot. Some of the fervent nationalists talk about little else.

Comment

Amazed anyone does not know about the Welsh Knot. Some of the fervent nationalists talk about little else.
                      I guess that the schools in North Wales weren't affected so much. It was generally English speaking teachers in South Wales who enthusiastically interpreted the Green Paper.

However, I was in the queue of a supermarket in Criccieth just last year and I realised then how some younger Welsh speaking individuals didn't know about the Welsh (k)Not.

There was an older woman in front of me at the checkout, with a younger one behind. We were all waiting patiently to be served as there was what transpired to be an argument between a Romany looking woman and the checkout assistant in front of all of us.

I realised she was cursing him in Welsh for some reason and the woman in front of me turned to me and started speaking in Welsh. I said politely in my pigeon Welsh, "dim siarad Cymraeg" and she continued in English, whereupon the younger woman chipped in and was surprised that I didn't speak Welsh, given my strong Welsh accent.

I related that my grand parents had been subject to the Welsh (k)Not and so didn't speak Welsh to my parents, who naturally couldn't speak it to me. She didn't know what the Welsh (k)Not was! She was a native of North Wales.

Ironically, the only person who correctly translated my three phrases without hesitation, was an English man who had lived in Lampeter for 60 years and had married a Welsh speaking woman! So when confronted by an aggressive Welsh speaker, I usually shut them up with my three questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X