• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

salary/rate information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You asked a question, I gave you a genuine answer. If I'm allowed to offer a good rate, I get good candidates with slick CVs. If yours has mistakes it won't make the cut and I will bin it.

If I only secure a low rate, I won't be able to get the top contractors apply as they won't be interested. I will, therefore, I be passed the second tier contractors with weak, error strewn, CVs.

If you're not seeing rates increase, ask yourself how slick your CV is? It's the first thing we see as managers. It's your 'marketing'. It's what gets your foot in the door for an interview.

If you think this advice is tulip then that is your problem fella. I'm trying to help you, but do you want to be helped?
    In general when looking at a CV I am looking for content and experience and I normally prepared to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar mistake.

Mainly because I do not think I have ever recruited for a CV writer - if I did I would expect a 100% perfect CV - when recruiting for a coder or a project manager or a BA or one of a hundred other jobs which do not actually require a perfect CV I am normally happy to look beyond that - mainly because I am employing a person and they generally tend to be a lot more complex than can be realistically demonstrated in 2 sheets of A4.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      In general when looking at a CV I am looking for content and experience and I normally prepared to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar mistake.

Mainly because I do not think I have ever recruited for a CV writer - if I did I would expect a 100% perfect CV - when recruiting for a coder or a project manager or a BA or one of a hundred other jobs which do not actually require a perfect CV I am normally happy to look beyond that - mainly because I am employing a person and they generally tend to be a lot more complex than can be realistically demonstrated in 2 sheets of A4.
      True to a certain extent. Then you get some CVs that are so bad that you wonder if they really believe they have "excellent attention to detail"...

Comment

Is PeopleSoft still in demand ?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Says the big, fat, bald, lion molester.
          Hey, I have no recollection of that .... although the NDA the lion signed helped

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Btw, paying to go on a safari doesn't make you a wildlife warden or master of the Serengeti. Just saying, like...
          I have indeed been on paid safaris, both prior to me training in SA and a couple afterwards when we were back working in London. Never been to the Serengeti though - Rouha and Selous were where we went in Tanzania.

But no, the training was formal FGASA registered and that is what both my good lady and myself are qualified in. I'm also a qualified tracker (loved learning tracking skills), having been trained by 3 of the top trackers in the world!
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Everyone is different in how they recruit, but personally my experience shows that if someone is slack in their CV, their marketing if you will, then they are likely to be equally slack when on the job. If someone doesn't think it important to get their CV right, how can I trust them to take care if they are hired?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I know some companies that still use Peoplesoft Finance; I managed a Finance Systems team not so long ago and our primary system was PS, although reporting had moved to Hyperion for both consolidation (HFM) and BI (Essbase). AR and AP was still managed via PS.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                I know some fellow contractors and employees making money from it, but it is slowly dying out. I don’t do it any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I know some fellow contractors and employees making money from it, but it is slowly dying out. I don’t do it any more.

Read an article recently, can't recall where, but there is good money to be made by us older guys in 'legacy' systems and languages. All the kids, and hence competition, is in the new shiny tools but there are still loads of companies out there with legacy systems and limited contractors who have the skills now to support them. If you're in your 50's and just needing 5-10 years of flexible work, then a system like PS is not a bad skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Read an article recently, can't recall where, but there is good money to be made by us older guys in 'legacy' systems and languages. All the kids, and hence competition, is in the new shiny tools but there are still loads of companies out there with legacy systems and limited contractors who have the skills now to support them. If you're in your 50's and just needing 5-10 years of flexible work, then a system like PS is not a bad skill to have.
                    I've been saying this for some time.

Comment

Hmmm I am indeed in my 50s needing about 10 years (if I live that long). I am dubious about anyone needing PS skills but maybe I was wrong to move on to PS 2.0.
                      Hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                      X