• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

salary/rate information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Anyone got an genius on figuring out the market rates for a particular niche skill? I've been permie and contractor in turn sine 2007 - rates and salaries are basically the same (in some cases lower). I am wondering if that's just because I'm tulipe or if it's a general thing.
    Guess it depends how niche the skill is and how in demand it is. I'm pretty much doing the same crap I was doing in 2007 and my rate has almost doubled since then, but this is partly due to my changing sector. If I'd stayed in the same industry the rate would have gone up by about 60%. I think Glassdoor might give you an indication on "salaries" for similar jobs, not sure about rates though. Might be worth a look on there.

Comment

Don't forget too that not all roles come to the open market. Probably 90+% of my roles have never reached Jobserve or LinkedIn. Agencies contact me directly (as well as other contractors on their books) - very rarely in my skillset do agencies need to go CV farming and having to trawl through the 100s of crap ones.

I assume this is very similar in many other areas of IT. If so for your sector, then the way to get the best rates is to build some good relationships with a select few agencies.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Don't forget too that not all roles come to the open market. Probably 90+% of my roles have never reached Jobserve or LinkedIn. Agencies contact me directly (as well as other contractors on their books) - very rarely in my skillset do agencies need to go CV farming and having to trawl through the 100s of crap ones.

I assume this is very similar in many other areas of IT. If so for your sector, then the way to get the best rates is to build some good relationships with a select few agencies.
        This is true. ClientCo has people they like to work with and will try to source them first.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I get that too but when I ask them to double the rate so its near my minimum rate they go away
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            I get that too but when I ask them to double the rate so its near my minimum rate they go away
            Wake up Vetty, wake up mate ... you're dreaming again

Actually, saying that, I have no idea what skills you sell so you may actually be telling the truth so I'll give you one of these just in case
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Hmmm I am indeed in my 50s needing about 10 years (if I live that long). I am dubious about anyone needing PS skills but maybe I was wrong to move on to PS 2.0.
              Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              as far as I know, Ford are still heavily into PS. I still prepare interfaces in PS format, which are now mapped to SAP format. There may be other clients doing the same.

Comment

Working...
              X