• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Phone battery question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Phone battery question

Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Is it still a thing? Done a poll...

iphone 11 (not pro) if that helps
    Yes! It's totally still a thing
    9.09%
    No - this is 2019 and it's not a thing anymore
    72.73%
    Ask Andw's mum if she's not erm... 'busy'
    18.18%
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Li-on batteries 'die' if you let them go fully flat.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

At least one size too small, too

Comment

Sadly, for most products, it's necessary to still do this to a new piece of hardware.

Why? Simple: software no longer simply registers the battery depletion throughout use but instead has complex interactions with the batteries through circuitry designed to prevent the full capacity being used. Without this software interference you could probably run your phone for another fifteen minutest to half an hour, but using this 5% of remaining battery capacity results in it being unable to recharge to as close to 100% due to it damaging the overall battery structure internally with repeated attempts at full discharge.

Performing a (seeming) full discharge every month or two, and particularly when new, ensures the software calibrates the lower and upper limit of the battery installed. It's annoying to wait to use a product, but unbox it, charge it fully and wait an hour until after it reaches 100% and then use to supposed zero, then recharge fully. If you repeat this every couple of months you will extend the battery life.

An additional tip is to charge to full from around 35-40% if you can, as this prolongs LiOn battery rather than repeated charges from supposed 0%.

Don't charge from your laptop, use a mains plug where possible. The reason for this is that most motherboards charge using variable current when the laptop is powered on - as with desktops - and so this causes issues after a few months of doing so with affected motherboards. Most lenovos and macbooks have this issue. 1A charging when powered off is decimated to 200mA charging - that fluctuates from 100 to 300mA - when the laptop/desktop is powered on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University Lots of useful information

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

Indeed, I lost an iPhone in a snowball fight last year (was drunk and under pressure - so chucked my phone )

Can’t wait for a thread on remould tires and if any good for contractors

Comment

IPhone? So you want Mossad to be able to take control of your smartphone?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X