New Phone battery question New Phone battery question

View Poll Results: is letting a new phone battery die to make it last longer still a thing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It's totally still a thing

1 9.09%
  • No - this is 2019 and it's not a thing anymore

8 72.73%
  • Ask Andw's mum if she's not erm... 'busy'

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Default New Phone battery question

Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Is it still a thing? Done a poll...

iphone 11 (not pro) if that helps
    Whatever...

Contractor Among Contractors

GhostofTarbera is NOT a disguised employee

Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee

Li-on batteries 'die' if you let them go fully flat.

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

At least one size too small, too

Should post faster

rogerfederer is a permanent contractor

Sadly, for most products, it's necessary to still do this to a new piece of hardware.

Why? Simple: software no longer simply registers the battery depletion throughout use but instead has complex interactions with the batteries through circuitry designed to prevent the full capacity being used. Without this software interference you could probably run your phone for another fifteen minutest to half an hour, but using this 5% of remaining battery capacity results in it being unable to recharge to as close to 100% due to it damaging the overall battery structure internally with repeated attempts at full discharge.

Performing a (seeming) full discharge every month or two, and particularly when new, ensures the software calibrates the lower and upper limit of the battery installed. It's annoying to wait to use a product, but unbox it, charge it fully and wait an hour until after it reaches 100% and then use to supposed zero, then recharge fully. If you repeat this every couple of months you will extend the battery life.

An additional tip is to charge to full from around 35-40% if you can, as this prolongs LiOn battery rather than repeated charges from supposed 0%.

Don't charge from your laptop, use a mains plug where possible. The reason for this is that most motherboards charge using variable current when the laptop is powered on - as with desktops - and so this causes issues after a few months of doing so with affected motherboards. Most lenovos and macbooks have this issue. 1A charging when powered off is decimated to 200mA charging - that fluctuates from 100 to 300mA - when the laptop/desktop is powered on.

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post
    Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jog On View Post

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University Lots of useful information

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

GhostofTarbera is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

Indeed, I lost an iPhone in a snowball fight last year (was drunk and under pressure - so chucked my phone )

Can’t wait for a thread on remould tires and if any good for contractors

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

IPhone? So you want Mossad to be able to take control of your smartphone?
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath