• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexual Harassment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    don’t preach on about it & get the day job done.
    This.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      So yep, don't hold a door open, don't make a compliment, don't look 'em in the eye, in fact just don't engage with them at all. Just stay in your own little box room and hope they don't forget to throw the odd fish head round the door once a day.
      And that's the way Triggernare's wife, Barry, likes it at home.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Bazza
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Its ironic that as a female in construction I see very little sexism at work – on site, generally people don’t care what you are or how you identify so long as you don’t preach on about it & get the day job done. One day the rest of society may catch up!
          You may not see it but it's probably happening. I've found in my career that there are a handful of women who are championed and the rest are put at a disadvantage mainly in connection to childcare responsibilities that women often bear the load of more than men... although things are changing.

That said, this is a contracting forum so we have to distance ourselves from employment law matters one would assume because it's a business to business relationship. That doesn't mean we wouldn't avoid a particular client if we thought there was an uncomfortable environment.

Comment

Interestingly enough I work at a very diverse and progressive company - but these two

Over the last few years genders have become diverse to some – this is upsetting some people
            Over the last few years more people are refusing to conform to society norms – this is upsetting some people

kind of wind a lot of people up - mainly because they were not employed based on their gender/refusal to conform to society norms so they need stop banging on about it.

AS Halo Jones says - if you do not bang on about it and get the job done nobody cares anyway.

However the problem is that you still have a lot of old white men in power who are sexist and sometimes misognystic.

I would have to say you get this also from middle aged gay men - they seem frustrated that no one is shocked anymore about their sexual preference and they wanted to be treated as a bit special.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
              Have seen young male grads being harassed by older female managers also. One of them used to hire on the basis of looks. It did explain why her team were all tall good-looking young men. This was a few years ago though.
              Oh the trauma.

That brings back wonderful memories of being sexually harassed by a buxom red haired lady when I worked at 3M.

Alarmingly she's over 80 now if she's still around.

Long long ago and far far away, they did things differently then.

She was from Penclawdd.

Very enthusiastic apparently.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Oh the trauma.

That brings back wonderful memories of being sexually harassed by a buxom red haired lady when I worked at 3M.

She was from Penclawdd.

Nothing wrong with the occasional test flight my old friend.

Btw, Bazza says Hi!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                  Quite so, I think it was because of my ironing poem on your sex thread. It's silly old light verse I wrote years ago. This is the first time anyone's called it inappropriate (and on this site of all places I'm surprised) and I've posted it on several other forums.

Still, I'm curious to see what constitutes harassment on here and I'm now afraid to 'like' too many of your posts LM although I suspect that you don't consider me to be a stalker.
                  I don't recall saying anything that would imply you've offended me, you haven't (yet!!), so no need to worry

Comment

Oh the trauma.

She was from Penclawdd.

Apparently... really...

Comment

Oh the trauma.

She was from Penclawdd.

The power dynamic is somewhat different, admittedly, based on all sorts of things I won't go into here.

There was one guy in particular, she used to constantly perch on his desk, arrange post-work drinks etc. Quite aggressive and persistent. He wasn't a fan and grew concerned about what his gf might think and how a refusal might affect his career.

Had she been more attractive it might have helped, idk.

Comment

Working...
                      X