• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexual Harassment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
    Had she been more attractive it might have helped, idk.
    Oh, I think that you do.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
      You may not see it but it's probably happening. I've found in my career that there are a handful of women who are championed and the rest are put at a disadvantage mainly in connection to childcare responsibilities that women often bear the load of more than men... although things are changing.
      Women will never get equality in the workplace until there is equality in the family courts.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
        The power dynamic is somewhat different, admittedly, based on all sorts of things I won't go into here.

There was one guy in particular, she used to constantly perch on his desk, arrange post-work drinks etc. Quite aggressive and persistent. He wasn't a fan and grew concerned about what his gf might think and how a refusal might affect his career.

Had she been more attractive it might have helped, idk.
        Yeah - that is very very true.

What may be seen as harassment from one person would be seen as welcome attention coming from a different person.

What we probably need to do is understand there is a difference between asking 'some one out' and being a creep..

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Women will never get equality in the workplace until there is equality in the family courts.
          Women don't want equality, don't be daft, they've had equality for years.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

What we probably need to do is understand there is a difference between asking 'some one out' and being a creep..
            That's easier than you may think. Ask someone out and, if they say no, persisting is creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              That's easier than you may think. Ask someone out and, if they say no, persisting is creepy.
              Yup i agree with this....

however I know some women who will not even consider a man if he gives up after the first attempt.

Kind of glad I am married and not in this situation any more!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                You're not qualified for this topic mate, a sense of humour is a prerequisite.

Great spot of white knighting though
                Reeling folk in on a serious topic and then going too far, followed by the "you don't have a sense of humour!" line is a classic old man trope. What type of person does this on a such a firey topic? There is no division expected; just treat women in the office as you would treat men: with respect. The issue here is that I suspect you don't treat men with respect and would rather engage in backwards macho competitive behavior that once passed as 'banter'. You may not realise this, but it's a common defense mechanism by perpetrators who try to twist words and actions into some skewed vision of a 'sense of humour', otherwise gaslighting the victim(s).

I've ended a number of contractors' contracts in my time over clear breaches of respect for other contractors and permanent staff. When it focuses on matters outwith ability to fulfill the projects then universally they are older and male who don't understand that times have moved on and that repeatedly talking a particular way with, invariably, women and/or physical touching against obvious office rules (it's 2019!) isn't just unacceptable but is more serious than a one-off mistake.

In terms of this forum; it may be the 'General' section, but keeping in mind that numerous sexual assaults occur in offices and one in three (yes, 1 in 3) women are victims of sexual assault - many of which occur in the office, this entire thread is of more than just questionable taste.

Comment

Ditto with the flirty behaviour/remarks. If the person is not responding, just stop it. Keeping on is creepy.

Romantic films bear some responsibility for this behaviour where dogged persistence pays off, in a way that it's unlikely to in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    Reeling folk in on a serious topic and then going too far, followed by the "you don't have a sense of humour!" line is a classic old man trope. What type of person does this on a such a firey topic? There is no division expected; just treat women in the office as you would treat men: with respect. The issue here is that I suspect you don't treat men with respect and would rather engage in backwards macho competitive behavior that once passed as 'banter'. You may not realise this, but it's a common defense mechanism by perpetrators who try to twist words and actions into some skewed vision of a 'sense of humour', otherwise gaslighting the victim(s).

I've ended a number of contractors' contracts in my time over clear breaches of respect for other contractors and permanent staff. When it focuses on matters outwith ability to fulfill the projects then universally they are older and male who don't understand that times have moved on and that repeatedly talking a particular way with, invariably, women and/or physical touching against obvious office rules (it's 2019!) isn't just unacceptable but is more serious than a one-off mistake.

In terms of this forum; it may be the 'General' section, but keeping in mind that numerous sexual assaults occur in offices and one in three (yes, 1 in 3) women are victims of sexual assault - many of which occur in the office, this entire thread is of more than just questionable taste.
                    Ok, what does the second post in this topic say in response to the 1st? That is how the tone of this topic was set.

Hence the tone of my responses. I genuinely hope that helps.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

But what if they change their mind? You need to keep asking until you get the answer you want. Oh hang on, wrong forum...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X