• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexual Harassment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
    Romantic films bear some responsibility for this behaviour where dogged persistence pays off, in a way that it's unlikely to in real life.
    David Mitchell persisted with Victoria Coren - and they're now married with one kid. Both eccentric people so it seems a good match.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
      Ditto with the flirty behaviour/remarks. If the person is not responding, just stop it. Keeping on is creepy.

Romantic films bear some responsibility for this behaviour where dogged persistence pays off, in a way that it's unlikely to in real life.
      I noticed that with a bloke filling up at the petrol station. Sprayed the last litre on the windscreen for some reason.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

LM, it was someone else who suggested via PM that I was harassing you but since you didn't respond negatively to the post in question (in fact you gave it a 'like') the whole thing has blown over.

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
        In terms of this forum; it may be the 'General' section, but keeping in mind that numerous sexual assaults occur in offices and one in three (yes, 1 in 3) women are victims of sexual assault - many of which occur in the office, this entire thread is of more than just questionable taste.
        Humour can be the best way to tackle a difficult topic because it can dispel any awkwardness and allow people to talk openly. If you look at countries or terrorists groups that don't believe in freedom of speech then you find that comedians are legitimate targets under those regimes for that reason.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I would have to say you get this also from middle aged gay men - they seem frustrated that no one is shocked anymore about their sexual preference and they wanted to be treated as a bit special.
        This is where disability discrimination deviates from other kinds, in law disabled people are entitled to special treatment in the form of adaptions or adjustments to level the playing field. As a disabled person I struggle to get that message through and that's not just limited to the workplace...

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
          You may not see it but it's probably happening. I've found in my career that there are a handful of women who are championed and the rest are put at a disadvantage mainly in connection to childcare responsibilities that women often bear the load of more than men... although things are changing.

That said, this is a contracting forum so we have to distance ourselves from employment law matters one would assume because it's a business to business relationship. That doesn't mean we wouldn't avoid a particular client if we thought there was an uncomfortable environment.
          Mostly frequented by permies, the benched and the retired. Not many contractors here these days
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Mostly frequented by permies, the benched and the retired. Not many contractors here these days
            Does anyone have the number for the Advertising Standards Authority?

Comment

I agree about the humour aspect. It's just so difficult to know what's acceptable humour and what's not. My personal taste is sarcastic, dark, gallows style (thanks Dad!) but I know that doesn't sit well with many people, some of whom are friends despite their lack of a SoH (joke!).

So the YouTube clip we should all know is from a show that puts a comedic twist on many serious topics. I think it helps to use humour as long as it's not misconstrued as disrespectful or making light of something.

In person, people can generally tell if an attempt at humour is being made vs intent to offend. It's a lot harder to make that clear here on mumsnet2.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I agree about the humour aspect. It's just so difficult to know what's acceptable humour and what's not. My personal taste is sarcastic, dark, gallows style (thanks Dad!) but I know that doesn't sit well with many people, some of whom are friends despite their lack of a SoH (joke!).

So the YouTube clip we should all know is from a show that puts a comedic twist on many serious topics. I think it helps to use humour as long as it's not misconstrued as disrespectful or making light of something.

In person, people can generally tell if an attempt at humour is being made vs intent to offend. It's a lot harder to make that clear here on mumsnet2.
                It wasn't so difficult to assertain before the latest crop of fannies (physical and metaphorical) joined the forum.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  But what if they change their mind? You need to keep asking until you get the answer you want. Oh hang on, wrong forum...

That only works if she/he has schizophrenia, and initially 52% said no whilst 48% of their mind said yes

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                    Does anyone have the number for the Advertising Standards Authority?
                    0300 200 3300

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      It wasn't so difficult to assertain before the latest crop of fannies (physical and metaphorical) joined the forum.
                      Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      That only works if she/he has schizophrenia, and initially 52% said no whilst 48% of their mind said yes
                      Behold an example of the latter, desperate to be accepted, yet easily proven to be a humourless buffoon.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X