• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexual Harassment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I don’t want this one...I just find it interesting that...she behaves the way she does. Her need for validation is not helping this problem.
    I think the continuous need for validation sums up why many are here. Check out the 'like' counts on the left.

Comment

This is one of the great things about the Internet. Anyone can be who they want to be. Give yourself a male username, others reading your posts will assume you are male. Give yourself a female username, others reading your posts may well assume you are female. Give yourself a neutral name and others will not be sure.
      Make one post stating your gender and then you assume that everyone who has read that post and from now one every new member will know what gender you are.

It's the same with nationality, political opinion, colour, religion, sexual orientation, disability, etc. You can be what you want to be, and unless you constantly post that you think you belong in a particular "box" then the only thing others can go on is what you write in your posts - how you act and how you react, without seeing your facial expression, without knowing how you're feeling, without understanding your intentions, knowing what meds/drugs you have or haven't taken, etc.

So you end up with people treating you based on how you treat them. People reacting to you based on how you post. And they are reacting/treating with all their issues, ideas, preconceptions, etc.

If people aren't demanding special treatment above others, then forums like this one can exist.
      For those demanding special treatment, they need to find a forum where you can attach a list of the things that make you think you are special to your profile - maybe a series of icons - along with a mood one - so that each post you write can be read by people who have the opportunity to know your mental and physical state at the time of posting.

This isn't about denigrating someone, treating them unfairly or despising them, this is about reading words posted publicly on the Internet and reacting/responding.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        This is one of the great things about the Internet. Anyone can be who they want to be. Give yourself a male username, others reading your posts will assume you are male. Give yourself a female username, others reading your posts may well assume you are female. Give yourself a neutral name and others will not be sure.
        Mae one post stating your gender and then you assume that everyone who has read that post and from now one every new member will know what gender you are.

It's the same with nationality, political opinion, colour, religion, sexual orientation, disability, etc. You can be what you want to be, and unless you constantly post that you think you belong in a particular "box" then the only thing others can go on is what you write in your posts - how you act and how you react, without seeing your facial expression, without knowing how you're feeling, without understanding your intentions, knowing what meds/drugs you have or haven't taken, etc.

So you end up with people treating you based on how you treat them. People reacting to you based on how you post. And they are reacting/treating with all their issues, ideas, preconceptions, etc.

If people aren't demanding special treatment above others, then forums like this one can exist.
        For those demanding special treatment, they need to find a forum where you can attach a list of the things that make you think you are special to your profile - maybe a series of icons - along with a mood one - so that each post you write can be read by people who have the opportunity to know your mental and physical state at the time of posting.

This isn't about denigrating someone, treating them unfairly or despising them, this is about reading words posted publicly on the Internet and reacting/responding.
        Mods are despised, but not unfairly.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Mods are despised, but not unfairly.

True, but we are highlighted in green so it's obvious.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

True, but we are highlighted in green so it's obvious.
            The colour of putrescence.

Comment

Mae one post stating your gender and then you assume that everyone who has read that post and from now one every new member will know what gender you are.

You're over thinking it. Something that Old Greg has never been and never will be accused of.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

In the first one that woman get exactly what she deserver - it is not really to do with gender or harassment that for me is to do with tulipting on another human being just because you can - and then being surprised when someone takes a big log on you.

And as for the second - yup - given that mentoring needs to take place in a quiet place - potentially behind closed doors to get the best out of the session then why as a man would you even put yourself in a position where absolutely nothing could happen but if the woman says it has you are instantly guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                  I think the continuous need for validation sums up why many are here. Check out the 'like' counts on the left.
                  There is a certain ex-squaddie on here who explained why he is more popular than me because he has more 'likes' I guess even the toughest of us like a bit of validation
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

This is one of the great things about the Internet. Anyone can be who they want to be.
                    It's also one of the disadvantages of the internet. People can hide behind the anonymity and post sexist, racist or generally abusive content. I guess one of the reasons you went into moderating was to clean the streets with a zero tolerance approach. Protect and sever.

You've missed "time of the month" off the list. I try to give my wife special treatment during that period although being a woman is not a disability so she can't sue me for refusing to pick up her pads from the supermarket while she sits and watches Loose Women.

I have a good idea what your gender might be WTFH but I'd rather not say for fear of getting banned.

Comment

This is one of the great things about the Internet. Anyone can be who they want to be.
                      You came across as a cr4p-shot bad singing Surrey inbred. Is that inaccurate?

Comment

Working...
                      X