The cover up of crimes after the Spanish Civil War The cover up of crimes after the Spanish Civil War - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 50 of 50

Fingers like lightning

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.
    This is the problem with the winners writing history.

Atrocities were committed by both sides, civil wars are like that. The Communists regularly planted bombs that killed civilians that included children. There was a Spanish TV program a while back about them murdering the nuns in a convent because they had the temerity to feed opposing fighters who came to them begging for food.

At this very moment Spain's government is lurching to the far left; hardly a day goes by without them blaming their ineptitude on the ghost of Franco. I wouldn't be surprised if we live to see yet another civil war in Spain, southern Europe seems to need strong men - whatever their political leanings.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWolves View Post
    This is the problem with the winners writing history.

Atrocities were committed by both sides, civil wars are like that. The Communists regularly planted bombs that killed civilians that included children. There was a Spanish TV program a while back about them murdering the nuns in a convent because they had the temerity to feed opposing fighters who came to them begging for food.

At this very moment Spain's government is lurching to the far left; hardly a day goes by without them blaming their ineptitude on the ghost of Franco. I wouldn't be surprised if we live to see yet another civil war in Spain, southern Europe seems to need strong men - whatever their political leanings.
    You seem to be conflating atrocities during the Civil War with severe human rights abuses during the post Civil War Franco regime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

I live on CUK

yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.
    The UK had pretty unsavoury church run (unmarried) Mother and Baby homes into the 1980s.
    25 June 2018

Contractor Among Contractors

JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    The UK had pretty unsavoury church run (unmarried) Mother and Baby homes into the 1980s.
    yes, and I guess there are many other issues being covered up, like the orphans being sent to Australia etc. At least with the Internet and modern communication systems, events like these should be picked up early and quashed. However, we are hearing every week about one or other scandal in the NHS, especially the bad blood scandal, which a good friend of mine suffers from. Some of the issues he tells me beggar belief. My wife and I may very well have been victims, but we choose to let sleeping dogs lie. There's no point in turning stones over after over 45 years The bottom line is that the establishment of any country will suppress any issues that are an embarrassment to them and the UK is no different.

I live on CUK

yes, and I guess there are many other issues being covered up, like the orphans being sent to Australia etc. At least with the Internet and modern communication systems, events like these should be picked up early and quashed. However, we are hearing every week about one or other scandal in the NHS, especially the bad blood scandal, which a good friend of mine suffers from. Some of the issues he tells me beggar belief. My wife and I may very well have been victims, but we choose to let sleeping dogs lie. There's no point in turning stones over after over 45 years The bottom line is that the establishment of any country will suppress any issues that are an embarrassment to them and the UK is no different.
    One difference is that in a democracy like the UK, the media can uncover and report on scandals, and government can be held to account.

In Franco's Spain, not so much.
    25 June 2018

Fingers like lightning

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

You seem to be conflating atrocities during the Civil War with severe human rights abuses during the post Civil War Franco regime.
    No I'm not. The Communists did not go into retirement during Franco's tenure. In the "grown-up" world there are no good guys, you need to learn this.

P.S. I have a Spanish wife and family over there, so I get to hear arguments from people there.

Contractor Among Contractors

JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee

One difference is that in a democracy like the UK, the media can uncover and report on scandals, and government can be held to account.

In Franco's Spain, not so much.
    yes, it's the same for any totalitarian society, whether fascist or communist.

The UK civil war is long enough ago for us not to suffer the same issues. However, the American civil war still seems to cast a shadow over the Southern States.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWolves View Post
    No I'm not. The Communists did not go into retirement during Franco's tenure. In the "grown-up" world there are no good guys, you need to learn this.

P.S. I have a Spanish wife and family over there, so I get to hear arguments from people there.
    When you say 'the Communists', do you mean the democratic government, the subsequent Maquis resistance movements or both?
    25 June 2018

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

When you say 'the Communists', do you mean the democratic government, the subsequent Maquis resistance movements or both?
    Who cares.

They are dead now like every communist should be.

Super poster

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    Who cares.

They are dead now like every communist should be.
    Strangled with the entrails of the last Priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.