• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The cover up of crimes after the Spanish Civil War

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    oh, errr! we're shivering with fear already!

Its no joking matter. The mods might give infraction points!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Srebrenica massacre: Dutch soldiers let 300 Muslims die, court rules | World news | The Guardian

For a start.

The Rawagede massacre was committed by the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army on 9 December 1947 in the village of Rawagede (now Balongsari in West Java), during Operatie Product. Forces of the Royal Netherlands Army were deployed in the East Indies to restore Dutch authority and protect the country's interests in the Dutch East Indies.

Rengat In 1949, during the Indonesian National Revolution, Dutch paratroopers massacred perhaps some thousands of people in Rengat according to Indonesian sources. Dutch documents show that 80 inhabitants were killed.

Why couldn't your lot put up more of a fight against the Germans during WW1 & WW2?
      So I (or rather my family) was on the receiving side of Dutch colonial ethnic cleansing how does that make me my lot?
      Last edited by Eirikur; 4 December 2019, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        What does the ECHR has to do with the jailing of the Catalan separatists? Do you even have/know the facts or just go by what the Guardian is feeding you?

They are not political prisoners, they are criminals who broke the law and not any law but the constitution.
        And you are happy that having an opposing political view as enough to throw people into prison?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          So I was on the receiving side of Dutch colonial ethnic cleansing how does that make me my lot?
          They probably just wanted shot of you, and I can see where they were coming from...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

So I (or rathercmy family) was on the receiving side of Dutch colonial ethnic cleansing how does that make me my lot?
            Of course you were.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              And you are happy that having an opposing political view as enough to throw people into prison?
              You are somewhat overstating the case around Catalan independence. People weren't thrown into prison just for having an opposing political views.

Comment

Of course you were.
                I know that in your racist little England mind it's not possible that people from former Dutch colonies migrated to The Netherlands and from thereon to the UK

Comment

I know that in your racist little England mind it's not possible that people from former Dutch colonies migrated to The Netherlands and from thereon to the UK
                  I fully understand that people would prefer the UK to the Netherlands, the British to the Dutch.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I fully understand that people would prefer the UK to the Netherlands, the British to the Dutch.
                    Would you prefer to work for a Dutch gentile or for a British Jew?

Comment

Sounds like what the gammons are doing in the UK with regards to the UK's colonial history

yeah

Colonial atrocities explode myth of Dutch tolerance | The Independent

In the trial Mr Boomsma referred to the most notorious atrocities committed by the Dutch in Indonesia over Christmas 1946 in the south Celebes. A battalion under Captain Raymond Westerling killed at least 4,000 Indonesians over a two-month period. Charges were never brought against Westerling and his men, or the military and political leaders who ordered the action.
                      Official histories of the war of independence have reportedly been changed to produce a watered-down version of what really happened as the Netherlands struggled to hold on to the Dutch East Indies by keeping them divided and preventing the emergence of a single free nation. In all, around 6,000 Dutch soldiers died in the war and at least 150,000 Indonesians were killed.
                      COMMENTARY: How bad, how cruel were Dutch to us? - Opinion - The Jakarta Post

Dutch literature of the 17th, 18th and 19th century is filled with glorification of how their tiny country ruled the world to become the wealthiest nation on earth. The VOC, the Dutch East Indies Company, has been touted as the first truly multinational company.
                      Grossly absent is the cruelty and brutality as the Netherlands seized control of the spice trade and the transatlantic slave trade. These are not in their collective memory.

sounds like we are late to the Party your Dutch friends glossed over it decades ago..
                      Last edited by vetran; 4 December 2019, 11:50.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X