• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The cover up of crimes after the Spanish Civil War

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.
    This is the problem with the winners writing history.

Atrocities were committed by both sides, civil wars are like that. The Communists regularly planted bombs that killed civilians that included children. There was a Spanish TV program a while back about them murdering the nuns in a convent because they had the temerity to feed opposing fighters who came to them begging for food.

At this very moment Spain's government is lurching to the far left; hardly a day goes by without them blaming their ineptitude on the ghost of Franco. I wouldn't be surprised if we live to see yet another civil war in Spain, southern Europe seems to need strong men - whatever their political leanings.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      This is the problem with the winners writing history.

Atrocities were committed by both sides, civil wars are like that. The Communists regularly planted bombs that killed civilians that included children. There was a Spanish TV program a while back about them murdering the nuns in a convent because they had the temerity to feed opposing fighters who came to them begging for food.

At this very moment Spain's government is lurching to the far left; hardly a day goes by without them blaming their ineptitude on the ghost of Franco. I wouldn't be surprised if we live to see yet another civil war in Spain, southern Europe seems to need strong men - whatever their political leanings.
      You seem to be conflating atrocities during the Civil War with severe human rights abuses during the post Civil War Franco regime.

Comment

yes, and the abduction of babies from "unsuitable" mothers continued into the 1980's with support from doctors and the Catholic Church.

The West was complicit in the post civil war atrocities as they saw Franco as a bastion against Communism, which they feared would engulf Spain.
        The UK had pretty unsavoury church run (unmarried) Mother and Baby homes into the 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          The UK had pretty unsavoury church run (unmarried) Mother and Baby homes into the 1980s.
          yes, and I guess there are many other issues being covered up, like the orphans being sent to Australia etc. At least with the Internet and modern communication systems, events like these should be picked up early and quashed. However, we are hearing every week about one or other scandal in the NHS, especially the bad blood scandal, which a good friend of mine suffers from. Some of the issues he tells me beggar belief. My wife and I may very well have been victims, but we choose to let sleeping dogs lie. There's no point in turning stones over after over 45 years The bottom line is that the establishment of any country will suppress any issues that are an embarrassment to them and the UK is no different.

Comment

yes, and I guess there are many other issues being covered up, like the orphans being sent to Australia etc. At least with the Internet and modern communication systems, events like these should be picked up early and quashed. However, we are hearing every week about one or other scandal in the NHS, especially the bad blood scandal, which a good friend of mine suffers from. Some of the issues he tells me beggar belief. My wife and I may very well have been victims, but we choose to let sleeping dogs lie. There's no point in turning stones over after over 45 years The bottom line is that the establishment of any country will suppress any issues that are an embarrassment to them and the UK is no different.
            One difference is that in a democracy like the UK, the media can uncover and report on scandals, and government can be held to account.

In Franco's Spain, not so much.

Comment

You seem to be conflating atrocities during the Civil War with severe human rights abuses during the post Civil War Franco regime.
              No I'm not. The Communists did not go into retirement during Franco's tenure. In the "grown-up" world there are no good guys, you need to learn this.

P.S. I have a Spanish wife and family over there, so I get to hear arguments from people there.

Comment

One difference is that in a democracy like the UK, the media can uncover and report on scandals, and government can be held to account.

In Franco's Spain, not so much.
                yes, it's the same for any totalitarian society, whether fascist or communist.

The UK civil war is long enough ago for us not to suffer the same issues. However, the American civil war still seems to cast a shadow over the Southern States.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  No I'm not. The Communists did not go into retirement during Franco's tenure. In the "grown-up" world there are no good guys, you need to learn this.

P.S. I have a Spanish wife and family over there, so I get to hear arguments from people there.
                  When you say 'the Communists', do you mean the democratic government, the subsequent Maquis resistance movements or both?

Comment

When you say 'the Communists', do you mean the democratic government, the subsequent Maquis resistance movements or both?
                    Who cares.

They are dead now like every communist should be.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      Who cares.

They are dead now like every communist should be.
                      Strangled with the entrails of the last Priest.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X