• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Varna

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varna

Has anyone been to Varna before? I have some enforced holiday with the clientco Christmas furlough so taking advantage of cheap as cheaps flights and 5* hotel for a mini break (or what counts as 5 stars in Bulgaria).

I’m hiring a car and have a full day and half a day to explore the area and anything worthwhile seeing in the area.

What’s good, what’s not, and what should be avoided?......

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Has anyone been to Varna before? I have some enforced holiday with the clientco Christmas furlough so taking advantage of cheap as cheaps flights and 5* hotel for a mini break (or what counts as 5 stars in Bulgaria).

I’m hiring a car and have a full day and half a day to explore the area and anything worthwhile seeing in the area.

What’s good, what’s not, and what should be avoided?......

Wrong time of the year for Varna and you won’t gain much by hiring a car other than risking your life. If you go, use public transport. The train service from Varna is good. Overnight sleeper to Sofia is about £30.

The correct places to go in the winter are Sofia, Bansko (Ski), Veliko Tarnovo and Plovdiv
    Last edited by Paddy; 9 December 2019, 13:33.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Head to the mountains and go skiing
      Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Wrong time of the year for Varna and you won’t gain much by hiring a car other than risking your life. If go, use public transport. The train service from Varna is good. Overnight sleeper to Sofia is about £30.

The correct places to go in the winter are Sofia, Bansko (Ski), Veliko Tarnovo and Plovdiv
        Risking life? That sounds extreme - is it bandit country or driving Italian style? The hotel is a few miles out of the city so was thinking about getting out and about a little as I arrive around midnight, so would feel safer avoiding buses at that time of night.

Blimey, it sounds a little scary......

Comment

If there's a ship called Demeter in the harbour, might be best to stay indoors at night.

Comment

Risking life? That sounds extreme - is it bandit country or driving Italian style? The hotel is a few miles out of the city so was thinking about getting out and about a little as I arrive around midnight, so would feel safer avoiding buses at that time of night.

You can drive to Ikea and have free coffee.
            Ikea boulevard "Republika" 55, 9020 Vladislavovo, Varna,
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Not much to do in Varna in the winter.
              I've been there many times and have a lot of local friends.

Good things:
              Excellent food and cheap
              Cheap drinks
              Cheap girls
              Nice garden by the sea
              Nice bars and clubs

Not good:
              Driving is a bit of adventure. You can get beaten at a crossroad if you cut someone off or etc. It has happened and happens.
              Roads are with pot holes - get full rental car insurance.

Bulgarians are generally very friendly. They absolutely hate English. Call them pale skinned faggots. I wonder why - brexit doesnt help and bad press re BG neither. Other tribes from this island are OK.

Locals are machos - faggotry wont work - if you are a homo, keep it to yourself. Otherwise if you get to know them they are really good friends and one can count on them.

Girls adore foreigners and like being treated. The more you spend the more they like you. Third world really. But it is good s.ex.

So depends on what are you looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                Not much to do in Varna in the winter.
                I've been there many times and have a lot of local friends.

Good things:
                Excellent food and cheap
                Cheap drinks
                Cheap girls
                Nice garden by the sea
                Nice bars and clubs

Not good:
                Driving is a bit of adventure. You can get beaten at a crossroad if you cut someone off or etc. It has happened and happens.
                Roads are with pot holes - get full rental car insurance.

Bulgarians are generally very friendly. They absolutely hate English. Call them pale skinned faggots. I wonder why - brexit doesnt help and bad press re BG neither. Other tribes from this island are OK.

Locals are machos - faggotry wont work - if you are a homo, keep it to yourself. Otherwise if you get to know them they are really good friends and one can count on them.

Girls adore foreigners and like being treated. The more you spend the more they like you. Third world really. But it is good s.ex.

So depends on what are you looking for.
                Sounds like fun! I will mind my manners when I am driving. Not a lot to do sounds perfect – I am in the Astor Gardens 5 star resort so will probably chill around the hotel.

I am only there for Tuesday and Wednesday morning – Other than downtown Varna in the daytime (I will stay at the hotel in the evening due to the strict drink drive) anywhere good to explore, either coastal or inland to check out the areas a little? Or just a case of pottering about the resort and Varna itself. Drobich and Albena look like local places of interest – what kind of interest though is my question….

Comment

Sounds like fun! I will mind my manners when I am driving. Not a lot to do sounds perfect – I am in the Astor Gardens 5 star resort so will probably chill around the hotel.

I am only there for Tuesday and Wednesday morning – Other than downtown Varna in the daytime (I will stay at the hotel in the evening due to the strict drink drive) anywhere good to explore, either coastal or inland to check out the areas a little? Or just a case of pottering about the resort and Varna itself. Drobich and Albena look like local places of interest – what kind of interest though is my question….
                  Look up Madara village and Madara horseman.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                    Head to the mountains and go skiing
                    All ski resorts are in the exact opposite end of the country, despite the smallish size poor road infrastructure and crossing mountain passes in the winter makes it a bad choice for 2 day stay.

It's not that bad Driving is Balkan style (similar to Italian style) aggressive drivers with added "bonus" of threat of physical violence. Not really bandit country in terms of RSA, carjacking etc.

Stay clear of G-wagons and S-klasse MBs, especially if in convoy. They are the wheels of choice for the local "chiefs"

Definitely go check the Balchik Palace and botanical gardens:

Balchik Palace - Wikipedia

Also in the area:

Pobiti Kamani - Wikipedia

If you fancy a look into the life in Bulgaria at the end of 19th and beginning of 20th century:

Ethnographic museum | - Visit Varna - Official Varna City Guide

Comment

Working...
                    X