• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Cancel the Loan Charge and get one of these families to move into the home of a dodgy loan contractor, who becomes responsible for their welfare and upkeep. A neat solution to a couple of otherwise unconnected antisocial behavoiur problems.
    This is the first thread where I really like all of Old Greg's posts. I concur with this suggesting and then contractors would be less far removed.

Comment

Cancel the Loan Charge and get one of these families to move into the home of a dodgy loan contractor, who becomes responsible for their welfare and upkeep. A neat solution to a couple of otherwise unconnected antisocial behavoiur problems.
      I would love to take on the children. Mrs-bp would make them into humans within months. As for the parents, they must be sterilized. Will no-one think of climate change?

Can we then send the parents to the scheme promoters and those at HMRC who let the big offshore corporates get away with worse?

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
        This is the first thread where I really like all of Old Greg's posts. I concur with this suggesting and then contractors would be less far removed.
        I'm glad my forum street cred is strong enough to survive an endorsement from you.

Comment

This is the first thread where I really like all of Old Greg's posts.
          Indeed. Its nice when he has not got his tongue up sasguru's arse.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Indeed. Its nice when he has not got his tongue up sasguru's arse.
            I've told you before. You and Churchy need to get a room and work through your shared anilingus obsessions.

Comment

I've told you before. You and Churchy need to get a room and work through your shared anilingus obsessions.
              UNSAILING being the conundrum falsogram.

Comment

It was something along the lines of I think this thread is in bad taste. Wealthy contractors debating the poverty line and passing judgement over unemployed people with 'anxiety'. It's Daily Mail stuff.
                No offence was intended and nor did I wish to start a debate or to slag off "the poor". It was a genuine question. I know people who survive on much less than £35 per day after housing costs, people who don't *appear* to be in poverty and who as far as I'm aware don't consider themselves to be in poverty. But yes, they do have to be very very careful with their money. And if their washing machine broke down, they'd be unable to repair or replace it without borrowing.

As has been helpfully pointed out, there are several high cost items that I hadn't thought of, thanks to posters who mentioned them.

Especially at Christmas this serves to remind one (me) that there are many less fortunate. In fact I'm heading to Argos later this week to buy a load of toys to donate to a local charity that gives presents to those children who receive none at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

This is poor. £36 per day for one adult + child is shameful.

Just returned from a trip to the UK. In the space of a few short months since my last visit things had become notably more expensive. I've no idea how ordinary people manage day by day.

There was a time I felt sorry for such people, then I learnt they voted Tory. Natural selection at its finest.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

No offence was intended and nor did I wish to start a debate or to slag off "the poor". It was a genuine question. I know people who survive on much less than £35 per day after housing costs, people who don't *appear* to be in poverty and who as far as I'm aware don't consider themselves to be in poverty. But yes, they do have to be very very careful with their money. And if their washing machine broke down, they'd be unable to repair or replace it without borrowing.

As has been helpfully pointed out, there are several high cost items that I hadn't thought of, thanks to posters who mentioned them.

Especially at Christmas this serves to remind one (me) that there are many less fortunate. In fact I'm heading to Argos later this week to buy a load of toys to donate to a local charity that gives presents to those children who receive none at Christmas.
                    The thing is, if your washing machine breaks down, and you are unable to repair or replace it without borrowing, then you are poor.

Good work on the Argos thing. We put together a couple of shoe boxes full of presents that a charity gives to homeless kids. It's good for the kids to realise how lucky they are, and they always think about these kids opening the presents on Christmas day morning.

Comment

No offence was intended and nor did I wish to start a debate or to slag off "the poor". It was a genuine question. I know people who survive on much less than £35 per day after housing costs, people who don't *appear* to be in poverty
                      Hidden poverty is everywhere. From children that don't have breakfast before school, to their parents lurking outside food banks - fecking sad. JRM will pop up claim how wonder our society is.

The UK is a hop skip & a jump from a full blown depression.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X