• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you poor?

I saw this on a BBC web page,

So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?

Relative poverty. It's a very different thing to absolute poverty.

Comment

So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

and I note that pensioners are not included, and yes, I know about pension credit.

Comment

And rising monthly mobile phone costs because many parents are too weak to tell their 10 year-old that they can't have an iPhone X. Frightening how many school kids are on the tram with expensive headphones/airpods in.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This is real poverty.

A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

The poor father has anxiety and can't work.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              This is real poverty.

A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

The poor father has anxiety and can't work.
              What's the mother doing, too busy sh***ing out babies?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                I saw this on a BBC web page,

So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?
                Clothing. Bus fares. Personal hygiene. Cleaning products.

Comment

How do you know?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Of course the goal posts move. Otherwise anyone who was living better than an 11th century serf wouldn't be poor.

Comment

Working...
                    X