• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you poor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The thing is, if your washing machine breaks down, and you are unable to repair or replace it without borrowing, then you are poor..
    Not only that. There's an explosion of working age children looking after their mentally ill parents because there is no facility available, unless you have mega bucks. IMO the mental health problem is going to be one of the biggest challenges facing the UK in the coming years.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Not only that. There's an explosion of working age children looking after their mentally ill parents because there is no facility available, unless you have mega bucks. IMO the mental health problem is going to be one of the biggest challenges facing the UK in the coming years.
      The aging population is the killer. Immigration is the answer.

Comment

I'm glad my forum street cred is strong enough to survive an endorsement from you.
        I wouldn't go that far. Has anyone ever called you twunt before? You probably have more 'twunts' than 'likes' on the hidden statistics. But you're a twunt that can get down with the homeless so the Ghost of Christmas future will be tipping HMRC off about others instead.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        No offence was intended and nor did I wish to start a debate or to slag off "the poor". It was a genuine question. I know people who survive on much less than £35 per day after housing costs, people who don't *appear* to be in poverty and who as far as I'm aware don't consider themselves to be in poverty. But yes, they do have to be very very careful with their money. And if their washing machine broke down, they'd be unable to repair or replace it without borrowing.
        It was more the responses that rankled me than your opener but thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
          I wouldn't go that far. Has anyone ever called you twunt before? You probably have more 'twunts' than 'likes' on the hidden statistics. But you're a twunt that can get down with the homeless so the Ghost of Christmas future will be tipping HMRC off about others instead.
          Member of the CUK cretinocracy have been know to direct such language at me. But I forgive you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            No offence was intended and nor did I wish to start a debate or to slag off "the poor". It was a genuine question. I know people who survive on much less than £35 per day after housing costs, people who don't *appear* to be in poverty and who as far as I'm aware don't consider themselves to be in poverty. But yes, they do have to be very very careful with their money. And if their washing machine broke down, they'd be unable to repair or replace it without borrowing.

As has been helpfully pointed out, there are several high cost items that I hadn't thought of, thanks to posters who mentioned them.

Especially at Christmas this serves to remind one (me) that there are many less fortunate. In fact I'm heading to Argos later this week to buy a load of toys to donate to a local charity that gives presents to those children who receive none at Christmas.
            Well this really comes down to a point of view

Some people feel they are entitled to nothing and are therefore happy that they are paying their own way and not being a burden on society - yes they know money is tight and they cannot have some luxuries other people have but they also know that with hardworking and some good luck that will change over time

Sadly there are other people who feel they should be entitled to what everyone else has even though they have no interest in earning it and if the government does not give them free money they will feel justified in robbing other peoples stuff.

Comment

The aging population is the killer. Robots are the answer.
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Well this really comes down to a point of view

Some people feel they are entitled to nothing and are therefore happy that they are paying their own way and not being a burden on society - yes they know money is tight and they cannot have some luxuries other people have but they also know that with hardworking and some good luck that will change over time

Sadly there are other people who feel they should be entitled to what everyone else has even though they have no interest in earning it and if the government does not give them free money they will feel justified in robbing other peoples stuff.
                And in between there are those who are not wanting to milk the benefit system, but through no fault of there own need the safety net.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  And in between there are those who are not wanting to milk the benefit system, but through no fault of there own need the safety net.
                  the operative phrase should be "through no fault of their own"

however, the processes in place are unable to take such issues into account. Some of the rules are also not in favour of the individual.

My daughter started working at 18 in various low level jobs and paid her taxes and NI appropriately. In her mid twenties she decided to go back into full time education and gained a BAed. She then took on a succession of supply jobs in teaching and eventuality gained a year's contract. the contract wasn't renewed and she couldn't find another suitable position.

She claimed JSA and was promptly refused on the basis that she hadn't paid her stamp whilst at Uni. Despite appeals, and the help of her local MP, she was unsuccessful in any claim. This is why I say that irrespective of which colour of government is in power, issues like this will never be changed.

Many will still have to work on for many years after they have gained their full OAP entitlement when those contributions will not improve their pension. I paid my stamp for 47 years, 4 more than the maximum, but those extra 4 years didn't translate into a higher pension. All governments rip off the populace like this.

Comment

I thought the numbers were contractor day rates for a moment..

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      I thought the numbers were contractor day rates for a moment..
                      I should be so lucky. My current day rate on ESA is £15 and I still haven't received my £10 Christmas bonus from the DWP.

Despite these desperate times, I'm still seriously considering going out on Friday and buying NAT a drink because that's what Christmas is all about. I think the poor people understand, I'm shamelessly middle class but I spent enough time in Africa during a horribly clichéd gap year to know they've got it all sussed out.

Comment

Working...
                      X