Are you poor? Are you poor?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Are you poor?

Ducklike

Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

Default Are you poor?

I saw this on a BBC web page,

So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?

More time posting than coding

Amanensia is a permanent contractor

Relative poverty. It's a very different thing to absolute poverty.

Contractor Among Contractors

sal 's job has never been outsourced

So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.

Contractor Among Contractors

JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

and I note that pensioners are not included, and yes, I know about pension credit.

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

And rising monthly mobile phone costs because many parents are too weak to tell their 10 year-old that they can't have an iPhone X. Frightening how many school kids are on the tram with expensive headphones/airpods in.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Super poster

woohoo is a fount of knowledge

This is real poverty.

A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

The poor father has anxiety and can't work.

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    This is real poverty.

A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

The poor father has anxiety and can't work.
    What's the mother doing, too busy sh***ing out babies?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    I saw this on a BBC web page,

So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?
    Clothing. Bus fares. Personal hygiene. Cleaning products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

How do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Of course the goal posts move. Otherwise anyone who was living better than an 11th century serf wouldn't be poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018