Are you poor? Are you poor?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Are you poor?

  1. #1

    Ducklike

    Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    9,000

    Default Are you poor?

    I saw this on a BBC web page,



    So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

    e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

    I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding

    Amanensia is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Relative poverty. It's a very different thing to absolute poverty.

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,889

    Default

    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

    I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

    No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

    I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

    No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.
    and I note that pensioners are not included, and yes, I know about pension credit.

  5. #5

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

    I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

    No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.
    And rising monthly mobile phone costs because many parents are too weak to tell their 10 year-old that they can't have an iPhone X. Frightening how many school kids are on the tram with expensive headphones/airpods in.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  6. #6

    Super poster

    woohoo is a fount of knowledge

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    This is real poverty.

    A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

    Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

    The poor father has anxiety and can't work.

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    This is real poverty.

    A family of nine survives on GBP480 a month - because their benefits were cut when a cap was introduced - Manchester Evening News

    Luckily they have a gofund going and have raised nearly 4k.

    The poor father has anxiety and can't work.
    What's the mother doing, too busy sh***ing out babies?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #8

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    I saw this on a BBC web page,



    So please forgive my ignorance, but is this saying that if have less than this amount of money each week, after tax, benefits and housing costs, you're defined as being poor?

    e.g. Single parent, one child, £205 p.w. is £36 per day. This seems like a reasonable budget for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, your BBC licence fee and a tenner a day for heat, light and water and a PAYG phone. It would not cover child-care I'm sure. Nor a holiday. And perhaps a meagre amount to save for Christmas and Birthdays.

    I suppose I'm quite surprised by these numbers. They seem quite high as a definition of poverty. I've probably missed something horrendously obvious and expensive .... ?
    Clothing. Bus fares. Personal hygiene. Cleaning products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

    I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

    No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.
    How do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  10. #10

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    So the reason for rising poverty is the same as falling obesity in the US - the goal posts are moved.

    I love how they just cost 1 kid at £55/week, and Adult at £110 like the expense is the same for 2 parents and 1 kid and single parent with 3 kids...

    No effort to make real world calculations whatsoever.
    Of course the goal posts move. Otherwise anyone who was living better than an 11th century serf wouldn't be poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •