• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You lot are under performing, beaten by a teenager.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    given her recent public proclamations, the wording of such and the manner in which she presented them, I'd guess that she is being fed with Green propaganda. At 16, most youngsters are interested in much more mundane issues than she appears to be. I was 15 during the Cuban missile crisis, which in my opinion was much closer to a global threat than climate issues will ever be. But we all had to trust in Kennedy's diplomatic skills, which thankfully were wise to the situation.
    If things that she's saying are simply Green propaganda, then why do I not see credible, fact based counter arguements? She's only 16, she's a brat, she should be in school, she looks angry...but nothing that seriously disputes the content of what she's saying.

Interesting point about the Cuban missile crisis though. While I agree that nuclear annihilation is certainly a threat, I'm not so sure I agree that climate change is less of a threat. We've been living with the threat of nuclear war for something like 80 years now, with no annihilation yet. In fact, one could even say there's been some positives like mutually assured destruction keeping the cold war at a simmer. On the other hand, I don't see many circumstances where in 80 years things are going to be generally OK with climate change. We are already paying the price and it's only going to get worse.

Comment

I read the headline in the Times today as: Climate activist Greta named youngest person of the year.
      I'm fairly sure my grandson is younger. But maybe youth is one of those things that you self-identify?

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      If things that she's saying are simply Green propaganda, then why do I not see credible, fact based counter arguements?
      Because you haven't really looked?

For example:

“You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words…People are suffering. People are dying.”

Fact: Fewer people are dying and suffering. The post-millennials are growing up in the most prosperous time in human history. Global hunger has never been lower. Far fewer live in poverty. Life expectancy has increased. Disease has reduced.

Also, contrary to her expectations, we're not in imminent danger of ecological collapse.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Comment

Comment

wrong one!

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              given her recent public proclamations, the wording of such and the manner in which she presented them, I'd guess that she is being fed with Green propaganda. At 16, most youngsters are interested in much more mundane issues than she appears to be. I was 15 during the Cuban missile crisis, which in my opinion was much closer to a global threat than climate issues will ever be. But we all had to trust in Kennedy's diplomatic skills, which thankfully were wise to the situation.
              I do love this rhetoric, which you see a lot in climate-change-denying groups. She can't just be passionate and wrong, she MUST be a puppet. Probably says more about their lack of ambition and bitterness a teenager has done more in a few months than they ever will in their lives.

She is CLEARLY genuine. She's somewhat autistic and we know that autistic people get really single-mindedly obsessed with topics... Dr. Who, Dinosaurs, whatever. She started her protests at a grass-root level before anyone knew who she was and got media coverage. Clearly she is well-read on the subject and not being fed scripts.

She might be talking nonsense but it is certainly her own view if so. The movement has latched on to her as movements do latch on to popular/charismatic figureheads all the time, of course.

In terms of someone who has genuinely influenced the world in the last year, it's pretty notable.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I do love this rhetoric, which you see a lot in climate-change-denying groups. She can't just be passionate and wrong, she MUST be a puppet. Probably says more about their lack of ambition and bitterness a teenager has done more in a few months than they ever will in their lives.

She is CLEARLY genuine. She's somewhat autistic and we know that autistic people get really single-mindedly obsessed with topics... Dr. Who, Dinosaurs, whatever. She started her protests at a grass-root level before anyone knew who she was and got media coverage. Clearly she is well-read on the subject and not being fed scripts.

She might be talking nonsense but it is certainly her own view if so. The movement has latched on to her as movements do latch on to popular/charismatic figureheads all the time, of course.

In terms of someone who has genuinely influenced the world in the last year, it's pretty notable.
                I agree she is definitely trying to do the right thing.

Why is she not going to China and demanding they change what they are doing as they are the current biggest contributor?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...on-by-country/

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  I agree she is definitely trying to do the right thing.

Why is she not going to China and demanding they change what they are doing as they are the current biggest contributor?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...on-by-country/
                  The US has unilaterally pulled out of the deal agreed by all countries, you fooking idiot, that's why.
                  The Chinese are well aware of what climate change and pollution are doing to their own country - unfortunately their economy is not post-industrial yet.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I read the headline in the Times today as: Climate activist Greta named youngest person of the year.
                    I'm fairly sure my grandson is younger. But maybe youth is one of those things that you self-identify?

For example:

“You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words…People are suffering. People are dying.”

Fact: Fewer people are dying and suffering. The post-millennials are growing up in the most prosperous time in human history. Global hunger has never been lower. Far fewer live in poverty. Life expectancy has increased. Disease has reduced.

Also, contrary to her expectations, we're not in imminent danger of ecological collapse.
                    It sounds like what you are arguing is that less people are suffering and dying OVERALL , while she is saying that people are suffering and dying because of climate change. Both of you can be right if that's the case.

I'm not sure she (or anyone else for that matter) is arguing that we are in imminent danger of collapse. Most people agree that it might take some time and I'm sure there are plenty of different opinions on how bad it will be. Doesn't refut any of her arguments that I see.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

For example:

Do you have any cite for your “facts”?

For example, has global hunger never been lower? WHO doesn’t appear to agree with your opinion:

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...un-report-says

Comment

Working...
                      X