• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yeeessss!! Let the fun begin.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    As I was saying about a decade ago, the solution to IR35 was to tax divis as income and allow proprietary directors to use the same NIC class as sole traders.
    That would be too sensible
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      That would be too sensible
      PCG / IPSE should have been arguing for this model IMO. The travel and subsistence thing is a pain, but doesn't affect me or MyCo, as an annual railcard comes out of my pre tax income in any case. It would be tougher in the UK, so the 24 month rule would be a reasonable addition.

Too late now.

Comment

PCG / IPSE should have been arguing for this model IMO. The travel and subsistence thing is a pain, but doesn't affect me or MyCo, as an annual railcard comes out of my pre tax income in any case. It would be tougher in the UK, so the 24 month rule would be a reasonable addition.

Too late now.
        Tax breaks on travel are a harder sell as long as employees don't benefit. My partner spends 5-10k a year on travel as an employee without any tax breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Tax breaks on travel are a harder sell as long as employees don't benefit. My partner spends 5-10k a year on travel as an employee without any tax breaks.
          Travel and expenses is the only thing I've ever really fought over and cared about.

The rest of IR35 was open to such abuse when you look at the bigger picture that it was always going to switch (as was the original plan) to holding the customer responsible (as outside of IT contracting the tricks care companies and others use to reduce NI payment levels are frightening) but the inability to claim expenses would make some work impossible.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            The stupids have voted in large numbers for the Tories.
            They've got to be placated now.
            The money has to come from you lot, I'm afraid.
            But al least chances of a hard Brexit are increased
            Wrong again. Soft Brexit just become more likely as the ERG now have significantly less power due to the big majority.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              Wrong again. Soft Brexit just become more likely as the ERG now have significantly less power due to the big majority.
              Yeah Ok keep your pants on. I've conceded that point a long time ago.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Travel and expenses is the only thing I've ever really fought over and cared about.

The rest of IR35 was open to such abuse when you look at the bigger picture that it was always going to switch (as was the original plan) to holding the customer responsible (as outside of IT contracting the tricks care companies and others use to reduce NI payment levels are frightening) but the inability to claim expenses would make some work impossible.
                Right, but making the end client responsible is still deckchairs on the titanic. Taxing dividends on proprietor/owners at the income tax rate is a proper solution. Agree that travel is a big deal, but it is for many employees too. Still, overall, I agree that there should be some targeted tax breaks on travel open to owner/proprietors, even if they are not available to employees.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  The annual rail card taxsaver in Ireland is available to employees. It's now the only good deal in Ireland since Tesco raised the price of mini popadoms.

Comment

EU immigration has already been curbed.

Loads of EU citizens have already left, and hardly anyone from the EU wants to come here anymore.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

The annual rail card taxsaver in Ireland is available to employees. It's now the only good deal in Ireland since Tesco raised the price of mini popadoms.
                      Right - something like that would work here too. Better if it's open to employees, but eek is right that no tax breaks would render many contracts economically unviable. #prayfortarbie

Comment

Working...
                      X