• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What I want from this hugely popular Tory govt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Ex contractors are like ex wives it seems, always hoping for ex to fail... but the day never comes.
    Who are you calling an ex contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      A 3% solution applied externally... Yeah, that's really spoil the taste. But probably not as much as salmonella or campylobacter already does.

Apart from which it's only the cheap pizza-and-KFC-bound crap that will be affected, proper UK-sourced organic chicken won't be. Which is what most sensible people buy anyway
      You mean those Brits on minimum wage or less, that have been ignored by the Tories for years, that rely on food banks? Yeah, I'm sure they'll enjoy their uk-sourced organic chicken. Do you think they'll get it from Waitrose or M&S?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

True, but luckily, we are not bound by US regulations.

Except for the minor detail that all food products for commercial sale have to have their country of origin marked. So unless the US wants to sue every retailer in the UK as well as the UK and the EU governments - since we will be mirroring EU rules for quite a while yet as the trade talks roll on, as per the WA - that is not much of a threat.
        Except for the minor detail that a trade deal with the US will require trade offs. By definition, if we are importing US chicken under a trade deal with the US then we will have diverged from EU rules.

As for your suggestion that once we have left the EU, that the US would be suing “EU governments” for decisions the UK makes, that’s just ludicrous.

Comment

Interestingly though the Tories aren't more popular than under May, they still got 43%.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

True, but luckily, we are not bound by US regulations.

Except for the minor detail that all food products for commercial sale have to have their country of origin marked. So unless the US wants to sue every retailer in the UK as well as the UK and the EU governments - since we will be mirroring EU rules for quite a while yet as the trade talks roll on, as per the WA - that is not much of a threat.
            You will be, look at Australia. They changed their regulations on drug patents to get the trade deal. As a result they could no longer import cheap generic drugs.

That's how trade deals work. China will be forced to introduce new laws to get their deal with Trump as will the UK.

The US won't stand for a deal where UK consumers simply don't buy US products because of strict labelling rules. US Chickens will have Union Jacks printed all over them, they will be sold to shell companies in the UK and be labelled "UK sourced".

The UK will be forced to change its laws and you will not be able to choose your chicken. US producers are not fools, they will obfuscate so you have no idea who "made" your chicken

Either the UK will be tied to the EU as a defacto member or it will need to change to adapt to the US.

After Australia signed its deal with the US, US exports went down and US imports went up.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 December 2019, 10:26.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Australia signed a trade deal with the US in 2005. Obviously regulations needed to be aligned.

Straight in the bin: Mother's horror after noticing her Coles chicken is GREEN - but the supermarket chain says there's nothing wrong with it

A mother's roast dinner came to an abrupt end after she discovered that her Coles-bought chicken was green inside.

Perth woman Lisa Wood was enjoying a meal with her four-year-old daughter on Tuesday night when she noticed the BBQ chicken they had been eating was discoloured.

Ms Wood posted a photo of the chicken to Coles' Facebook page, saying she felt sick after the discovery and had thrown the chicken straight in the bin.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                You mean those Brits on minimum wage or less, that have been ignored by the Tories for years, that rely on food banks? Yeah, I'm sure they'll enjoy their uk-sourced organic chicken. Do you think they'll get it from Waitrose or M&S?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  No, obviously, because they won't be cooking supremes al lá grecque, but sticking to McDs...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    You will be, look at Australia. They changed their regulations on drug patents to get the trade deal. As a result they could no longer import cheap generic drugs.

That's how trade deals work. China will be forced to introduce new laws to get their deal with Trump as will the UK.

The US won't stand for a deal where UK consumers simply don't buy US products because of strict labelling rules. US Chickens will have Union Jacks printed all over them, they will be sold to shell companies in the UK and be labelled "UK sourced".

The UK will be forced to change its laws and you will not be able to choose your chicken. US producers are not fools, they will obfuscate so you have no idea who "made" your chicken

Either the UK will be tied to the EU as a defacto member or it will need to change to adapt to the US.

After Australia signed its deal with the US, US exports went down and US imports went up.
                    Who really cares ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Of course, you are quite correct. I'd completely forgotten about the Illuminati...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X