• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seats difference if there was PR in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    A proper PR system would be more democratic but not sure what the effect would be.

What's been achieved in the last 5 years of Tory government? Fook all and a sheet load of money up in smoke.

During the last coalition:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      What's been achieved in the last 5 years of Tory government? Fook all and a sheet load of money up in smoke.
      and this is relevant? - go back to your magic beans thread, there's a good Erik

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        No, doesn't work like that.

On those numbers, Tories have 288 seats, Lab/SNP/LD have 304. So a rainbow coalition would be in charge. Can't say that appeals...

And SNP/DUP/SF/PC/whatever seats are still UK National seats, so no need to adjust for local nationality.
        What “appeals” is irrelevant.

HTH, BIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          What “appeals” is irrelevant.

HTH, BIDI.
          What is irrelevant is posting numbers with no understanding or analysis of what they actually mean.

HTH. Not that I care.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            What is irrelevant is posting numbers with no understanding or analysis of what they actually mean..
            This time next year BTC to the moon!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              How does that work when PC, SNP, etc only stand in their respective nations?
              Wouldn't we need some sort of PR based per-nation, or does that cause more problems?

Seems we'd still have a majority Tory government either way.
              I guess there is no bar to anyone standing in any election anywhere in the UK. So theoretically, an SNP/DUP/PC candidate could stand anywhere in England. It would be pointless I know, but it would be interesting if the SNP fielded candidates in Northern England. However, I guess people forget that this "United" Kingdom has different laws for Scotland and NI from England and Wales, and has had so for a very long time.

Comment

The problem with PR is that UK politics don’t know how to form coalitions, and less so know how to effectively govern from them. The last two junior partners (LibDems and DUP) we seen as a necessary nuisance rather than a partner
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As someone mentioned we did have a referendum on voting reform about a decade ago - I barely remember it though so it must have been before I had any interest in politics?

Or maybe nobody had much interest in it?

edit: 42% turnout, I'd forgotten it was a fop to the LDs in return for tuition fees
                  2011 United Kingdom Alternative Vote referendum - Wikipedia
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X