• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seats difference if there was PR in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seats difference if there was PR in the UK

Party FPTP PR Difference
    Conservative Party 363 288 -75
    Labour Party 203 213 10
    Scottish National Part 48 26 -22
    Liberal Democrats 11 76 65
    DUP 8 5 -3
    Sinn Féin 7 4 -3
    Plaid Cymru 4 3 -1
    Green Party 1 18 17
    Alliance Party 1 3 2
    Brexit Party 0 13 13
    Social Democratic and Labour Party 2 2 0

Source: How Parliament would look if the UK had proportional representation at this general election - Wales Online
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

How does that work when PC, SNP, etc only stand in their respective nations?
    Wouldn't we need some sort of PR based per-nation, or does that cause more problems?

Seems we'd still have a majority Tory government either way.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A proper PR system would be more democratic but not sure what the effect would be. There was an article a few days ago saying the current system was greatly slanted towards Labour.

Election system ‘skewed in favour of Labour’ - shock findings from latest poll | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Ok, It's the Express, but is the source they are quoting necessarily biased?

And weren't we being told just yesterday that Tory support was dropping and a hung parliament was a real possibility? Don't think I believe anything anymore.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Wouldn't we need some sort of PR based per-nation, or does that cause more problems?

I agree with that, couldn't find a link that breaks it up per nation. the SNP had 45% of the votes in Scotland so would not have an absoloute majority 27 in stead of 48 out of the 59 Scottish seats
        Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

we don't.

Comment

The problem with proportional representation is that the non-voters (i.e. those that don't turnout) will always win so there would be no more MPs. Make it so.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

No, doesn't work like that.

On those numbers, Tories have 288 seats, Lab/SNP/LD have 304. So a rainbow coalition would be in charge. Can't say that appeals...

And SNP/DUP/SF/PC/whatever seats are still UK National seats, so no need to adjust for local nationality.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We had a referendum on PR in 2011. I was in favour. But the vast majority were not.

Referendums only come round once in a generation. Though I think they should be banned altogether. Or maybe only allowed if parliament is in favour.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  We had a referendum on PR in 2011. I was in favour. But the vast majority were not.

Referendums only come round once in a generation. Though I think they should be banned altogether. Or maybe only allowed if parliament is in favour.
                  No you had not, that was on AV

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    No you had not, that was on AV
                    Don't be doing your mad 'facts' on here.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X