• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta has done a Corbyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Maybe she should post on this forum. Perhaps she already does.
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    She’s got an excuse - she is like 16 years old.

What excuse got those adults attacking a kid?

Comment

Fear.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Probably someone else's point.

This generation of kids is the most destructive in terms of resources there has ever been - more gadgets, a throwaway attitude to things, lazier, etc.
        I've never seen so many cars outside schools, young kids with mobiles, etc.

Population control is an issue too - Asia has rocketed in population over the last 30 years.
        I adore this argument - it's like a demonstration in failed analysis. Let's pick on one point:

I've never seen so many cars outside schools

And how many young children are in a position to request, nay, demand - that their parents have two cars and drop them off at school? Do you not think that, just maybe, when considering what children have and don't have, you should look to the parents?

See how this also works:

This generation of parenting is the most destructive in terms of resources there has ever been - more gadgets, a throwaway attitude to things, lazier, etc.
        I've never seen so many cars outside schools, young kids with mobiles, etc.
        Christ, blaming children for what adults do - just stunning. I've seen the same crap regarding air conditioning in schools - as if, what, teenagers have been out demanding aircon be installed? Or that they're suddenly found themselves seats on the steering board?

Sorry to pick on you LM, but this line of thinking boggles my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          I adore this argument - it's like a demonstration in failed analysis. Let's pick on one point:

I've never seen so many cars outside schools

And how many young children are in a position to request, nay, demand - that their parents have two cars and drop them off at school? Do you not think that, just maybe, when considering what children have and don't have, you should look to the parents?

See how this also works:

Christ, blaming children for what adults do - just stunning. I've seen the same crap regarding air conditioning in schools - as if, what, teenagers have been out demanding aircon be installed? Or that they're suddenly found themselves seats on the steering board?

Sorry to pick on you LM, but this line of thinking boggles my mind.
          Do you have kids?

If not you will not know the pressure bought to bear not just by kids and peer pressure but also by rather judgemental parents, teachers and society in general.

- Force you kid to walk to school - you are a bad guy as the streets are teaming with pedo's.
          - Not get the some decent tech - you are a bad guy because your kid is being picked on and also you do not care about them because they cannot now contact you.
          - Oh this school does not have air con - I could not let Tarquin and Guinevere possibly go to this school.

etc etc etc

I do not disagree with you but until you have experienced it......

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Do you have kids?

If not you will not know the pressure bought to bear not just by kids and peer pressure but also by rather judgemental parents, teachers and society in general.

- Force you kid to walk to school - you are a bad guy as the streets are teaming with pedo's.
            - Not get the some decent tech - you are a bad guy because your kid is being picked on and also you do not care about them because they cannot now contact you.
            - Oh this school does not have air con - I could not let Tarquin and Guinevere possibly go to this school.

etc etc etc

I do not disagree with you but until you have experienced it......
            Yes, I have a kid.

but also by rather judgemental parents, teachers and society in general.
            .....yes. Adults. Along with most of the rest of your examples. I'm not disputing the pressure, but the pressure doesn't come from kids.

I'd argue parents are not meant to be popular and their kids best friends (not at all stages in life, anyway). If they need a phone, get them one - a simple one so they can call. TBH, I don't really care if they have an iPhone - I just think it's ridiculous to then blame young children for what their parents buy them.

I wanted a Fire Engine when I was 10, but I didn't get one! As they say in motorcycling - ride your own ride, because trying to follow the person in front will see you wiped up.
            Last edited by vwdan; 16 December 2019, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Yes, I have a kid.

.....yes. Adults.
              At school yet.

And not sure why it has added that bit at the bottom when i quote you!

You can do some things but here is a classic example

We are 2.0 miles from the school - so not far enough for free bus fair - which costs £1.20 per child each way - so £4.80

The kids have two friends in the same boat - thus parents take turns giving them lifts

In summer they can walk it - but not in current weather especially as the way home is long a dark ish narrow road which by 4pm you would not want your 12 your old daughter wandering along alone.

It does however seem to be the younger generation who cannot 'make do and mend' as we had to back in the day.

Comment

it seems that she was on a seat on a trian for part of teh journey, and sat in a corridor for another part.
                She wasn't "doing a Corbyn" in that she wasn't trying to make a political point.

She's just a ******* kid, who's saying more about the future of the planet than most other kids (or adults) in an articulate and considered way. We should encourage this level of public engagement, or we'll end up with more Corbyn/Abott/Johnson/Raab/Swinsons (delete as appropriate) to deal with.

I've decided to make a snap decision that anyone who has anything negative to say about her is just a bit of a <modsnip>. And doing whatever the alt-right version of virtue signaling is (clint-signalling could catch on I think).
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

At school yet.
                  Not quite - they start the local Primary in Jan, dreading it! We chose it specifically because we can't walk to the other slightly nicer one (country lane with no path in the way).

Edit: I appreciate we've not had the full force of teen peer pressure yet, but anybody with any age child has enjoyed the pressures and judgements of other adults, parents etc.

And not sure why it has added that bit at the bottom when i quote you!

You can do some things but here is a classic example

We are 2.0 miles from the school - so not far enough for free bus fair - which costs £1.20 per child each way - so £4.80

The kids have two friends in the same boat - thus parents take turns giving them lifts

In summer they can walk it - but not in current weather especially as the way home is long a dark ish narrow road which by 4pm you would not want your 12 your old daughter wandering along alone.
                  But again, your entire example is around adults making adult decisions. I'm not attacking those decisions - I'm attacking people who are attacking the kids for them. If you need to drive your kids to school, then that's fine - I'm not judging you (genuinely, I get it) - but to somehow turn around and say "Ahhh, kids today" is just absolutely ludicrous.

It does however seem to be the younger generation who cannot 'make do and mend' as we had to back in the day.
                  Based on what? You *could've* made your kids walk the 2 miles couldn't you? It's not their fault you didn't. Again, I'm not saying you should have (again, genuinely) - but how is that their fault?
                  Last edited by vwdan; 16 December 2019, 15:06.

Comment

Personal inadequacy.

Comment

Greta has done a Corbyn
                      Nearly. But she should be reading a copy of Private Eye.

DB trains are pretty crap, btw. Make UK trains look just dismal in comparison.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X