Greta has done a Corbyn Greta has done a Corbyn - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31

    Godlike

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    To her climate change is a religion.
    You imply she has faith without evidence. Seeing as the evidence exists your suggestion is spurious.


    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Meanwhile millions die from preventable diseases, poor sanitation and poverty.
    Which global warming will only make worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And yet she is terrified on some meaningless "global average" temperature rise which is less than the change that occurs in 1 minute on any average day.
    Now that is just a stupid assertion. You're trying for a reaction aren't you?
    See You Next Tuesday

  2. #32

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    28,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    You imply she has faith without evidence. Seeing as the evidence exists your suggestion is spurious.


    Which global warming will only make worse.

    Now that is just a stupid assertion. You're trying for a reaction aren't you?
    To be fair, he does include 'Dim' in his name.

  3. #33

    Permie Swiss (pending)

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    24,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    At least she is spending her time on science rather than religion.
    To a large extent she believes what she is told and reproduces it. The fact that the science is correct doesn't affect that. Her views of the consequence of climate change are extreme, and probably not true.

    I think it is plain wrong to expose a child especially one with her medical condition, to this level of exposure. It is exploitative.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

  4. #34

    Contractor Among Contractors

    JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    To a large extent she believes what she is told and reproduces it. The fact that the science is correct doesn't affect that. Her views of the consequence of climate change are extreme, and probably not true.

    I think it is plain wrong to expose a child especially one with her medical condition, to this level of exposure. It is exploitative.
    The fact that the science is correct doesn't affect that
    It is clear that since the end of the last ice age, sea levels have risen hundreds of feet. We know that the North Sea has only existed since the last ice age. The majority of that rise would seemed to have happened prior to Roman times. Sea levels appear to have risen only marginally since then. So, is there a model which shows the increase in sea levels since the last ice age, which demonstrates an acceleration in the rise which is greater than at any time prior to the age of industrialisation, e.g. the last 200 years?

    I'll answer my own question!

    Sea level have risen by an average of 20cm over the past 100 years. Using an average figure that should mean that over the last 40000 years, the rise should have been about 400 x 0.2 = 80m, which seems to correlate with the actual rise in sea levels. So have sea levels risen at a higher rate in the past 100 years than any period previously? Wiki seems to claim so, but I guess it would be difficult to measure any rises prior to the 19th century.
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 17th December 2019 at 09:53.

  5. #35

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    28,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    To a large extent she believes what she is told and reproduces it.
    She believes in science. Is that so astonishing?

  6. #36

    More time posting than coding

    hairymouse has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    To her climate change is a religion. Meanwhile millions die from preventable diseases, poor sanitation and poverty. And yet she is terrified on some meaningless "global average" temperature rise which is less than the change that occurs in 1 minute on any average day.
    I like the way you have combined two bad arguements into one. Some good old fashioned whataboutism: "But what about disease? How can we do anyhting about climate change while people are poor? " and what looks like a poorly articulated attempt at "How can we have global warming when it is snowing outside?"

    Here's the answer to both:
    #1We can address more than one problem at once. If you think poverty is so important, I encourage you to pick up a sign.
    #2 The difference between climate and weather.

  7. #37

    Contractor Among Contractors

    JohntheBike is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    I like the way you have combined two bad arguements into one. Some good old fashioned whataboutism: "But what about disease? How can we do anyhting about climate change while people are poor? " and what looks like a poorly articulated attempt at "How can we have global warming when it is snowing outside?"

    Here's the answer to both:
    #1We can address more than one problem at once. If you think poverty is so important, I encourage you to pick up a sign.
    #2 The difference between climate and weather.
    We can address more than one problem at once.
    but "we" aren't. One sector, i.e. "transport" is being demonised above any other and anti transport policies are being peddled as the most suitable solution for tackling climate change. If the UK government was serious about reducing carbon emissions, then it would have a cohesive plan for rolling out electrification in all its guises. They don't have such a policy.

    Only a few large cities have existing tram networks, or are planning to introduce them. There are no plans to re-introduce trolley buses, which regrettably were removed from the streets of Cardiff as late as 1970. There is much argument about the Swansea bay tidal lagoon, but calls to re-instate the Mumbles railway, which at one time was the oldest in the World, are muted. HMG has shelved plans to electrify the main line to Swansea and there were no plans to extend it further West in the first place.

    As far as electric cars are concerned, if they were the answer, then people would be flocking to buy them. However, there are major hurdles, which clearly aren't being addressed adequately. Range, charging time and availability of charging points are not really being addressed. Although attractive ranges are being published, these are the best figures. When presented with running whilst lights, wipers and heating/demisting issues in bad weather are factored in, ranges can be as little as a third of what are published.

    There are even 6 different plugs types at the moment and no plans to standardise them. Electric cars are far too expensive and when a Tesla is still subject to more tax than a 1.6 litre Fiesta, you wonder what the government is up to. If they were properly examining the issues, then no ice. vehicle would be taxed less than a completely electric vehicle.

    Sorry, I'm not convinced.

  8. #38

    Permie Swiss (pending)

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    24,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    You imply she has faith without evidence. Seeing as the evidence exists your suggestion is spurious.
    Plenty of religious people believe due to evidence. You may not accept the evidence, just as some people don't accept the evidence that the climate is changing, and a few more don't accept the evidence is due to human activity. Different types of evidence of course and more subjective. Few people believe anything without having some evidence - we need a reason to believe. No matter how flaky that might be.

    Scientific belief remains belief for most people. I recall reading that the majority of school kids in Finland accept the theory of evolution, but when asked, they couldn't explain it correctly in even basic terms. The accept it because they're assured by most scientists that it's (probably) true. Which isn't a bad way to go about things really.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

  9. #39

    More time posting than coding

    hairymouse has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    but "we" aren't. One sector, i.e. "transport" is being demonised above any other and anti transport policies are being peddled as the most suitable solution for tackling climate change. If the UK government was serious about reducing carbon emissions, then it would have a cohesive plan for rolling out electrification in all its guises. They don't have such a policy.

    Only a few large cities have existing tram networks, or are planning to introduce them. There are no plans to re-introduce trolley buses, which regrettably were removed from the streets of Cardiff as late as 1970. There is much argument about the Swansea bay tidal lagoon, but calls to re-instate the Mumbles railway, which at one time was the oldest in the World, are muted. HMG has shelved plans to electrify the main line to Swansea and there were no plans to extend it further West in the first place.

    As far as electric cars are concerned, if they were the answer, then people would be flocking to buy them. However, there are major hurdles, which clearly aren't being addressed adequately. Range, charging time and availability of charging points are not really being addressed. Although attractive ranges are being published, these are the best figures. When presented with running whilst lights, wipers and heating/demisting issues in bad weather are factored in, ranges can be as little as a third of what are published.

    There are even 6 different plugs types at the moment and no plans to standardise them. Electric cars are far too expensive and when a Tesla is still subject to more tax than a 1.6 litre Fiesta, you wonder what the government is up to. If they were properly examining the issues, then no ice. vehicle would be taxed less than a completely electric vehicle.

    Sorry, I'm not convinced.
    So, your point is that because there are 6 different plug types for electric cars than we should give up? Stop trying to address the situation at all and go buy SUVs all around?

  10. #40

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    So, your point is that because there are 6 different plug types for electric cars than we should give up? Stop trying to address the situation at all and go buy SUVs all around?
    Sounds good.

    Might get this next if that whining child keeps banging on about Climate and Doom...

    Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk | Performance SUV | Jeep(R) UK

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •