• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta has done a Corbyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Plenty of religious people believe due to evidence. You may not accept the evidence, just as some people don't accept the evidence that the climate is changing, and a few more don't accept the evidence is due to human activity. Different types of evidence of course and more subjective. Few people believe anything without having some evidence - we need a reason to believe. No matter how flaky that might be.

Scientific belief remains belief for most people. I recall reading that the majority of school kids in Finland accept the theory of evolution, but when asked, they couldn't explain it correctly in even basic terms. The accept it because they're assured by most scientists that it's (probably) true. Which isn't a bad way to go about things really.

Science is a culture of doubt. Religion is a culture of faith.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Science is a culture of doubt. Religion is a culture of faith.
      Humans need someone to look up to. If God did not exist, humans would have to invent him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Science is a culture of doubt
        For scientists sure. But for non-scientists, not so much. I doubt Greta doubts the science she has embraced.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          Sea level have risen by an average of 20cm over the past 100 years. Using an average figure that should mean that over the last 40000 years, the rise should have been about 400 x 0.2 = 80m, which seems to correlate with the actual rise in sea levels. So have sea levels risen at a higher rate in the past 100 years than any period previously? Wiki seems to claim so, but I guess it would be difficult to measure any rises prior to the 19th century.
          WTF does 40000 come in to it the last glacial maximum was @ 22000 years ago.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            WTF does 40000 come in to it the last glacial maximum was @ 22000 years ago.
            well, I was referring to the age of the red lady of Paviland, who is estimated as being 40000 years old and we are told that at that time the shoreline was some way South West of Ireland. I would estimate that sea levels have risen by hundreds of feet since then. Clearly it would be difficult to measure the rise from 40000 to 22000 years ago, but I guess you understand the basis of my question.
            Sea levels have risen by no more than 40 cms in the last 200 years, but based on what we are told about the levels at 40000 years ago, most of the rise would appear to have happened pre Roman times.

If you ever venture to Swansea along the coast road, you will pass right by the new UNI campus. To your right will be a row of older houses, which were built before WW2. The road feeding them to the North was originally the main road to Swansea even in my time. My mother distinctly remembers at exceptionally high tides than the sea used to lap the edge of the long gardens of those houses. That's where the main road sits now and the campus would be under a few feet of water. So, what's happening to sea levels there? Granted, it's more likely that the UK is tipping down in the East and coming up in the West. But I'm no expert.

University of Glasgow - University news - Archive of news - 2013 - December - Is Scotland still on the rise?

interesting data here

Historic variations in sea levels. Part 1: From the Holocene to Romans | Climate Etc.

Global sea level rose by about 120 m during the several millennia that followed the end of the last ice age (approximately 21,000 years ago), and stabilised between 3,000 and 2,000 years ago. Sea level indicators suggest that global sea level did not change significantly from then until the late 19th century. The instrumental record of modern sea level change shows evidence for onset of sea level rise during the 19th century. Estimates for the 20th century show that global average sea level rose at a rate of about 1.7 mm yr–1.”
            Last edited by JohntheBike; 18 December 2019, 09:26.

Comment

Working...
            X