• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm driving sideways for Xmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm driving sideways for Xmas

Ellie Goulding helps driver 'T-boned' by Royal Mail truck - BBC News

Feck me, I saw something similar 20 years ago on the M4 with a Tesco artic and a little white car.

Except the truck was doing 60.

Looked sideways as I passed the truck and thought quietly to myself "That's fecking odd, boot it & get out of here quick".

So I did, the truck driver put his brakes on and the little white car shot across all 3 lanes of the road, hit the crash barrier, span like a top & ended up facing the wrong way in the fast lane.

Couldn't go back because there's no hard shoulder there so reported the bump on the emergency phone.

Never found out what happened next.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Ellie Goulding helps driver 'T-boned' by Royal Mail truck - BBC News

Feck me, I saw something similar 20 years ago on the M4 with a Tesco artic and a little white car.

Except the truck was doing 60.

Looked sideways as I passed the truck and thought quietly to myself "That's fecking odd, boot it & get out of here quick".

So I did, the truck driver put his brakes on and the little white car shot across all 3 lanes of the road, hit the crash barrier, span like a top & ended up facing the wrong way in the fast lane.

Couldn't go back because there's no hard shoulder there so reported the bump on the emergency phone.

Never found out what happened next.
    when the average family saloon car was only capable of a little over 70 mph, artics could only manage about 35 mph. Now that artics are capable of 70 mph and are allowed to travel at 60 mph, isn't it time that the 70 speed limit is raised?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      when the average family saloon car was only capable of a little over 70 mph, artics could only manage about 35 mph. Now that artics are capable of 70 mph and are allowed to travel at 60 mph, isn't it time that the 70 speed limit is raised?
      How will that help congestion?

Feck me that sounds like a Labour manifesto pledge - we're going to raise the speed limit to 180mph, you won't be able to reach that speed because we don't have the road infrastructure to support it!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Feck me that sounds like a Labour manifesto pledge - we're going to raise the speed limit to 180mph, you won't be able to reach that speed because we don't have the road infrastructure to support it!
        I didn't say it would. But I believe that allowing commercial vehicles to travel at the speeds they do does nothing to increase safety levels. I've travelled many miles on our motorways and most of the idiotic scenes that I've seen are down to commercial vehicles being able to travel at less than safe speeds.

How often have you seen a small transit pickup illegally thundering down the outside lane of a three lane motorway whilst trailing an air compressor on a two wheeled axle, bouncing merrily back and forth, let alone a large car pulling a caravan at 70 mph? It's almost a daily occurrence from what I can see. Now if such vehicles were restricted to 40 mph, then they'd be confined to the slow lane and not present such a hazard.
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 17 December 2019, 16:01.

Comment

Yes.

The WAG are raising it to 80.

kph.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I didn't say it would. But I believe that allowing commercial vehicles to travel at the speeds they do does nothing to increase safety levels. I've travelled many miles on our motorways and most of the idiotic scenes that I've seen are down to commercial vehicles being able to travel at less than safe speeds.

How often have you seen a small transit pickup illegally thundering down the outside lane of a three lane motorway whilst trailing an air compressor on a two wheeled axle, bouncing merrily back and forth, let alone a large car pulling a caravan at 70 mph? It's almost a daily occurrence from what I can see. Now if such vehicles were restricted to 40 mph, then they'd be confined to the slow lane and not present such a hazard.
            Any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan is subject to a maximum 60mph speed limit on dual carriage ways and motorways where the limit would otherwise be 70mph and banned from using the outside lane on a 3 lane Motorway. On a single lane road where it would normally be a 60mph they are limited to 50mph.

If they are going to break the law they are going to do it regardless of the speed limit.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Any vehicle towing a trailer or caravan is subject to a maximum 60mph speed limit on dual carriage ways and motorways where the limit would otherwise be 70mph and banned from using the outside lane on a 3 lane Motorway. On a single lane road where it would normally be a 60mph they are limited to 50mph.

If they are going to break the law they are going to do it regardless of the speed limit.
              yes, but you miss my point, they could be regulated so that that can't attain those speeds. Yes, we know some are, but most are not. No one in their right mind would try to drive illegally in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway if their outfit couldn't exceed 40 mph.

Comment

Working...
              X