• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The tax man is coming (to Australia)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears that the Aussie tax man is unhappy with some people’s tax returns and is asking insurance companies for policy details of “high end” assets to compare to submissions.

Apparently a car over £34k is classed as luxury.

ATO ‘red flags’: Tax office requests insurance information on taxpayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twitter: jonsmile

Where does it say that it’s classed as luxury?

Comment

Ok. I was paraphrasing.

It called them “lifestyle assets”

Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
        It appears that the Aussie tax man is unhappy with some people’s tax returns and is asking insurance companies for policy details of “high end” assets to compare to submissions.

Apparently a car over £34k is classed as luxury.

ATO ‘red flags’: Tax office requests insurance information on taxpayers

Well it is - you can get a car which fulfils the function of getting you from A to B for less than that.

Comment

The point is that the tax man is reconciling assets against income. May not happen here (are insurance records subject to GDPR? Can the tax man go on a fishing expedition by requesting blanket records for everyone?).

Even if it did happen here, the Russian oligarchs and Sarf London drug dealers are hardly likely to be furnishing tax returns anyway

Comment

or getting insurance on their 7 series/Range Rover.

However knowing who owns a £30k+ car and is reporting earning £10k living in Kensington etc. is probably a very good test.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              or getting insurance on their 7 series/Range Rover.

However knowing who owns a £30k+ car and is reporting earning £10k living in Kensington etc. is probably a very good test.
              Oi...

My car was only £16k when I bought it 10 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Well it is - you can get a car which fulfils the function of getting you from A to B for less than that.
                You can... but who'd want to? Your chauffeur would refuse to get behind the wheel.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Oi...

My car was only £16k when I bought it 10 years ago

you call yourself a drug dealer? £16k would just about pay for your signet ring.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
                    And the problem is exactly what, violation of privacy rights of tax evaders?

Comment

Working...
                    X