• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More anti motorist government (Welsh Assembly) rhetoric

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    they generally don't kick in until you are doing 50 mph. Which makes them ineffective at that speed or lower.
    What kind of antique are you driving? (I know you ride antiques, not sure about driving them)

Every car I've owned for the past 15 years - and we're talking about bog standard mainstream marques - has had a cruise control / speed limiter which works quite happily at low speeds, although I must admit to never having used it below 30mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
      What kind of antique are you driving? (I know you ride antiques, not sure about driving them)

Every car I've owned for the past 15 years - and we're talking about bog standard mainstream marques - has had a cruise control / speed limiter which works quite happily at low speeds, although I must admit to never having used it below 30mph.
      2015 Jaguar XF 3 litre diesel and my wife's 2010 1.4 litre Fiesta Titanium, but I admit we don't use them very often in circumstances where we could use the cruise control. However, the cruise control on my then new 1998 Mondeo 2.5 litre Ghia X automatically dropped out of cruise control under 50 mph.

none of my classic cars have cruise control obviously.

Comment

My 2003 XJ8 cruise works from 30kph

Comment

More anti motorist government (Welsh Assembly) rhetoric

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          My 2003 XJ8 cruise works from 30kph
          Similar for any Alfas and Audis I’ve owned in the last 20 years. Suspect the other poster doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

The sooner they make over 65s retake their driving test every 5 years the sooner the roads become safer from doddering old gits who lack awareness, responsibility and respect.

Would also be a good idea if people studied the car manual before driving to learn how it worked, and see the improvements in technology since the K series engine and 3 speed auto box.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Similar for any Alfas and Audis I’ve owned in the last 20 years. Suspect the other poster doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.
            You think? Really? Gosh...

The sooner they make over 65s retake their driving test every 5 years the sooner the roads become safer from doddering old gits who lack awareness, responsibility and respect.
            Speaking as a 69 year old advanced motorist with 52 years of undetected cri.., ermm safe driving, I couldn't possibly agree. And I see an awful lot of younger people who wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing a test out there.

Would also be a good idea if people studied the car manual before driving to learn how it worked, and see the improvements in technology since the K series engine and 3 speed auto box.
            What? And take away the joys of discovery!?!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              You think? Really? Gosh...

Speaking as a 69 year old advanced motorist with 52 years of undetected cri.., ermm safe driving, I couldn't possibly agree. And I see an awful lot of younger people who wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing a test out there.

What? And take away the joys of discovery!?!
              yes, I'm 72 and have held a full car licence since 1968 without any convictions or accidents. I also have a full motorbike licence. I could easily qualify for membership of the million miles club.

Younger women seem to be the biggest offenders these days! I stick to the speed limits everywhere and it's worrying how many younger drivers don't and get irate when they see others doing so. Statistics still show that the under 25's are still the greatest risks on the road.

Comment

Is that the XK engine?

The IOE Rover engine?

The Ford 3 litre Essex?

Nothing wrong with a 3 speed auto.

I dunno if the thing I'm driving now has a cruise control, mostly coz the printing in the manual is rather too small for my poor old eyes.

Took two tries to put some antifreeze in the fecker yesterday evening, the thing that looked like a filler wasn't and the thing that didn't look like a filler was.

Never had these problems on my Rover 100 P4. <- but had that problem when the seals on the brake servo went.

Doesn't half make the engine pink a bit.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Is that the XK engine?

The IOE Rover engine?

The Ford 3 litre Essex?

Nothing wrong with a 3 speed auto.

I dunno if the thing I'm driving now has a cruise control, mostly coz the printing in the manual is rather too small for my poor old eyes.

Took two tries to put some antifreeze in the fecker yesterday evening, the thing that looked like a filler wasn't and the thing that didn't look like a filler was.

Never had these problems on my Rover 100 P4. <- but had that problem when the seals on the brake servo went.

Doesn't half make the engine pink a bit.
                  Rover 100 P4.
                  a jewel of British engineering and well in advance of its time. There weren't many offerings from the Continent that could match it, either technically or on price.

But then, many on here would say I'm looking back at the 1960's with rose tinted glasses. Everything mini was great though!

Comment

Going from a Rover 90 P4 to a Rover 100 P4 meant buying another set of spanners since the 90 was exclusively whitworth and nuts and bolts while the 100 had changed to AF with spire nuts and the like.

Similarly the oil filler on the 90 was a lovely alloy casting with a machined thread holding the cap while the 100 had one of those nasty push on things one might have found on a Ford.

Value engineering had set in.

Still a nice car but not quite what it had been.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Going from a Rover 90 P4 to a Rover 100 P4 meant buying another set of spanners since the 90 was exclusively whitworth and nuts and bolts while the 100 had changed to AF with spire nuts and the like.

Similarly the oil filler on the 90 was a lovely alloy casting with a machined thread holding the cap while the 100 had one of those nasty push on things one might have found on a Ford.

Value engineering had set in.

Still a nice car but not quite what it had been.
                      How was it switching from the model t ford?

Comment

Working...
                      X