• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to experience banking some more..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

Looking for some guidance please.

Context - 7 YOE, last 5 with big 4 doing generic tech advisory. Mix of sectors and types of work from SAP implementation through to data migration & compliance. Recent move to the UK from downunder.

I am wanting to get into the banking sector here as my last project (1 year) was in that space and quite substantial in terms of influence, scale and complexity. Was a Lead BA of 14 people across 2 countries just doing a basic current state mapping. Had a ball of a time so want to give it a go here.

Any recommendations on what would assist getting a suitable role? Looking at anything from internal consulting, business analyst, project mgmt, product owner...

Am thinking of doing a CISI exam for 'IT in Investments' as its quite quick and wont cost much.

Currently on contract in another sector through to the end of Jan.

TIA!

Contracting in the financial services sector is currently in turmoil due to the impending changes in IR35 rules being rolled out to the private sector from April 2020. There are many threads on this forum on this topic so do a search so you know what you might be letting yourself in for.

FWIW, I had wanted to try work in banking for years and when I finally got a chance a couple of years ago it was very dull. I wouldn’t rush to work in a bank again.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Contracting in the financial services sector is currently in turmoil due to the impending changes in IR35 rules being rolled out to the private sector from April 2020. There are many threads on this forum on this topic so do a search so you know what you might be letting yourself in for.

FWIW, I had wanted to try work in banking for years and when I finally got a chance a couple of years ago it was very dull. I wouldn’t rush to work in a bank again.

Would agree; banking as dull as ditch water & massively shedding people at the moment. Will be a whole different prospect post IR35, not something I would want to get back into. Future is better elsewhere.

Comment

I’ve been in banking (investment and retail) for 15 years, it’s a car crash at the moment - looking to move from banking asap

Big banks don’t really use SAP in Uk, I’ve not come across any in all years

Plus if you have no banking experience there are 500 people ahead of you with multi years currently on the bench

Run far far away

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Investment banking has lots of money but treats people like crap. Retail banking does everything on a shoe-string budget and treats people like crap.

Yeah you get the odd good manager here and there who makes things bearable but I only go back if I'm working with a team that I know. Sometimes I don't go back because I'd be working with people I know.

Comment

For me, every job and project gets dull after 6-9 months, so I decide where I want to work based on the people I will be working with and what industry/sector I think will give me a good work-life balance.

That's why I like contracting in banking: because so far I've found them pretty good for things like flexible hours and wfh. And, most of all, people in banking are the ones who party the hardest.

Comment

Thanks all!

As mentioned, my limited experience was positive but it was more the challenge of the environment/landscape. Maybe I just got a good project...

Have read a lot of stuff about IR35 on here but aware there is no real viewpoint on what the actual impact will be. Maybe I will just wait and see what happens, stay in my current place for now and then try and see what else is out there .

Comment

Originally posted by AddingValue View Post

Have read a lot of stuff about IR35 on here but aware there is no real viewpoint on what the actual impact will be).
                We all know the impact? (Well everyone but you and a few sleepers)

What are you not clear about ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

After a couple of extensions, my current contract ends on Christmas Eve. But although I had resigned myself to a couple of weeks or even months on the bench, as I assumed clients wind down for Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised to find several clients looking for python+Django contractors, and have now bagged a new six month contract in the same town as before (Bristol) starting on Jan 2nd!

(Off-topic for banking contracts though)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    After a couple of extensions, my current contract ends on Christmas Eve. But although I had resigned myself to a couple of weeks or even months on the bench, as I assumed clients wind down for Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised to find several clients looking for python+Django contractors, and have now bagged a new six month contract in the same town as before (Bristol) starting on Jan 2nd!

(Off-topic for banking contracts though)

Comment

Working...
                    X