• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anne Sacoolas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did read somewhere that this is one area where UK law is much stricter than US. Apparently motoring accidents that would get a manslaughter conviction in the UK would sometimes not be a crime of any kind in the US. (This was a general comment someone made, not related to the actual circumstances of this accident.)

Having done some quick googling on US law, you have to prove "criminal negligence" to convict someone. In the UK, all you have to prove is that death resulted from dangerous driving.

Criminal negligence is different from civil negligence in that it involves more extreme behavior or actions. It requires more than a mere mistake in judgment, inattention or ordinary carelessness and it refers to conduct that is so outrageous and reckless that it is clear departure from the way an ordinary careful individual would have acted.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 23 December 2019, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      I think I wouldn't care. It would make no difference to me what became of her. That's not going to make any difference to my life. It honestly mystifies me why the parents care so much. (Fully accept that I may be the abnormal person, in this context.)
      So you think the fact that she killed their son makes no difference to their lives? Are you for real? So by your logic no-one should be punished for any wrongdoing since it doesn't change what happened? Are you trolling or you an actual sociopath? Either way, I feel sorry for you.
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I worked with someone many years ago who was hit head on by an American who had turned out, into the LH lane, from an airforce base in Oxfordshire. Although very badly injured, he did eventually recover.

If you're driving near a US base, watch out!
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          I think I wouldn't care. It would make no difference to me what became of her. That's not going to make any difference to my life. It honestly mystifies me why the parents care so much. (Fully accept that I may be the abnormal person, in this context.)
          Do you have children?

How would you feel if it was your father or mother who was killed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            She should be extradited and charged and all things being equal serve some hard time for running away.
            We should send no-one back to the US until she is returned.

Originally posted by jatinder View Post
            Or much better - revoke her driving licence for life.
            Insdeed. I do despise the way people feel that if they are driving a car then that excuses everything. Cars should have a huge spike poking out of the steering wheel.

Driving a car is like carrying a gun round. Penalties should match.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              So you think the fact that she killed their son makes no difference to their lives? Are you for real? So by your logic no-one should be punished for any wrongdoing since it doesn't change what happened? Are you trolling or you an actual sociopath? Either way, I feel sorry for you.
              I mean that no matter what is done or not done to her, it is not going to make any difference to my feelings about my child being dead.

Are you honestly saying that if she were burned alive at the stake (or insert alternative punishment of choice) you would feel less bad about your child being dead?

Maybe that's an unfair way to put it. Would the knowledge that someone is being punished in some way generate a quantum of happiness, to offset the negative emotions? It wouldn't for me.

If anything I think a trial would cause me to spend more time focusing on what had happened, and increase the totality of suffering.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 24 December 2019, 17:21.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                So by your logic no-one should be punished for any wrongdoing since it doesn't change what happened?
                To deal with this separate point, no, I understand the state will want to pursue prosecutions, for good reasons that benefit society generally. All I'm saying is that those actions bring no direct benefit to me personally.

Comment

Not sure about this, people make mistakes and driving on the wrong side when it's the side you're used to driving on, is a mistake a lot of people probably make. Not really comparable to somebody being drunk, on drugs, racing etc. Sentences should relate to culpability not consequences.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Not sure about this, people make mistakes and driving on the wrong side when it's the side you're used to driving on, is a mistake a lot of people probably make. Not really comparable to somebody being drunk, on drugs, racing etc. Sentences should relate to culpability not consequences.
                    So would you see drink drivers who don't harm anyone given very severe sentences or alternatively drink drivers who kill people given a driving ban but no jail time?

Comment

Can't they drive on the correct side of the road?

Comment

Working...
                      X